Advertisement

Local News in Brief : 16-Year-Old Pleads Not Guilty in Slaying

A 16-year-old boy pleaded not guilty Wednesday to the murders of a pregnant woman and her unborn 8-month-old fetus, gunned down last month by gang members firing on rivals at a Boyle Heights housing project.

The boy, who was arrested Friday at a relative’s home, is also charged with two counts of attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon. He is a reputed Latino gang member.

The City Council and the Los Angeles Police Department offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of at least three other suspects--including one who is thought to have fired the assault rifle that killed Andrea Garrett.

Garrett, 20, was shot to death Feb. 12 as she stood outside the apartment complex where she lived with her two small daughters and grandmother.

Advertisement

Capt. Art Lopez said police believe that they can identify the other suspects, but need eyewitness testimony to build their cases. Lopez said the reward, coupled with an offer of protection, may encourage other witnesses to come forward.


Advertisement