3 in Family Shot by Carjacker in South-Central : Crime: A couple and their 2-year-old son are wounded one day after a Chatsworth retiree was slain in a similar incident. The dead man's daughter doubts that he resisted his killer.


A man, his wife and their 2-year-old son were wounded by gunfire Tuesday morning during an attempted carjacking in South-Central Los Angeles, police said. It was the second shooting stemming from a carjacking incident in 24 hours, following the killing of a 74-year-old man in Chatsworth.

Officers said that despite a stomach wound, Emmett Barney, 22, managed to drive his bleeding wife and child two miles to a fire station, where they received emergency treatment before being transferred to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

Barney, his 19-year-old wife, Mignon Taylor, and their son, whose name was withheld, were later reported in stable condition at the hospital, where Barney underwent surgery. Doctors said the woman had suffered minor wounds in both arms and the boy was shot in both legs.

Police said Barney and his family were on 47th Street in their 5-year-old Dodge van when a tan Buick sedan cut them off, forcing Barney to stop.

There were two to four people in the Buick, police said. One of them got out of the sedan and Barney got out of the van. The gunman demanded Barney's vehicle.

"Barney said, 'OK, but first I want to get my son out,' " a police spokesman said. The gunman shouted profanities and started shooting up the van with a handgun and fled, he said.

On Monday, a carjacker shot Naghi Ghoraishy, a retired porcelain importer, to death at a gas station in Chatsworth.

A funeral wreath, which someone placed Monday night against the gas pump where Ghoraishy died, stood there as a grim reminder Tuesday.

The killer remained at large Tuesday as Los Angeles police, acknowledging that they have few leads, said they planned to re-interview witnesses.

"This is going to be a tough one," said Lt. Kyle Jackson, head of detectives at the Devonshire Division.

Witnesses described the gunman in Monday's shooting as a black man in his early to mid-20s, wearing baggy, gray pants and a black, hooded sweat shirt. Jackson said the hood covered enough of his face to make positive identification difficult.

Witnesses said the gunman ordered Ghoraishy out of his car, then shot him in the head after a brief struggle. The gunman fled in Ghoraishy's gold Mercedes-Benz, license number 2MLX098. The car has not been found.

Ghoraishy died at the scene despite the efforts of witnesses and passersby to revive him. One who tried to help was off-duty emergency-room nurse Carol Denise Edwards, one of the first medical attendants to treat Rodney G. King after his beating by police two years ago.

Ghoraishy's daughter Meece said Tuesday that she doubts her father resisted his killer, as police have suggested. She said her father, who emigrated from Iran years ago, was too smart and too much of a free spirit to value his car over his life.

"He wouldn't have put up a fight--that's my gut feeling," she said. "I think this guy didn't even give him a chance to put up a fight."

Jackson said Ghoraishy's daughter was "entitled to her gut feeling" but added that "the information we have is based on the observations of witnesses, and they indicated there was a struggle."

Ghoraishy had been buying gifts for the Iranian New Year Saturday and was on his way home for lunch when he was killed, his daughter said.

His New Year's plans included a surprise party and presents for his grandchildren, she said, calling his preparations typical of his devotion to the wife, four children and four grandchildren who survive him.

It was family that brought Ghoraishy to America nearly 20 years ago, said his daughter, and during that time he had never before experienced crime.

"He thought this country had a lot to offer and the people were so nice," she said. "I guess he was naive in that sense, that he thought he could trust everyone."

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World