PRO FOOTBALL ’95 : Giants Fail to Hold Lead, Chiefs Win in Overtime

From Associated Press

Just when it appeared the Kansas City Chiefs had blown Sunday’s home opener to the New York Giants, they bounced back to win, 20-17, in overtime.

About four minutes into the fourth quarter, the Chiefs had driven inside the 10-yard line and appeared to be on the verge of tying the game, 10-10.

But on third and goal from the six, a fumble by quarterback Steve Bono was picked off in mid-air at the 12 by 290-pound defensive end Keith Hamilton, who took off for the other end of the field.


He was eventually caught at the one by tight end Keith Cash, and fumbled into the end zone, where the Giants’ Tito Wooten recovered for a touchdown that made it 17-3. That certainly quieted the 77,962 at sold-out Arrowhead Stadium.

But Chief Coach Marty Schottenheimer didn’t believe the game was over, and wanted his players to know it.

“I walked that sideline and I talked to them,” Schottenheimer said. “I told them we’ve got to get two touchdowns to get even, and we’re playing at home.”

Said Marcus Allen, “Marty believes in us, and we appreciate it. I think this game today showed the character of this team.”

Louie Aguiar’s 41-yard punt turned out to be the big play of the overtime, putting the Giants on their three. They ran three plays and punted, giving the Chiefs good field position.

Six consecutive running plays--two by Allen--put the ball on the six and set up Lin Elliott for a 23-yard field goal 7:49 into overtime.


For the Giants (0-2), there was little positive to take away from their second demoralizing defeat.

Last Monday night, they were blown out, 35-0, by Dallas. This time, it was a narrow defeat in a mistake-filled game they had every right to believe they’d win.

“These are the kind that probably hurt the worst,” Giant Coach Dan Reeves said.

After the Hamilton-Wooten touchdown gave the Giants a 17-3 lead with 10:56 left, Bono came right back, directing touchdown drives of 73 and 67 yards, twice converting fourth-down plays, and forced overtime.

Allen scored on a one-yard run with 5:03 left, making it 17-10. Then Bono led a 67-yard, 14-play march.

The Chiefs were five for five in converting on fourth downs in the game.

Cash’s catch put the ball on the three, and Bono then passed to Danan Hughes for the touchdown, and the extra point made it 17-17 with 1:25 left.