A weekly look at the college progress of former Orange County prep athletes.
UCLA WOMEN’S SOCCER
* County connections: Coach Joy Fawcett began her athletic career at Edison, where she excelled at track and field and at soccer. Her current team has six county players, including two from Los Alamitos (Sommer Hammoud and Liz Willemse) and two from Santa Margarita (Tiffany Brown and Ann Luke). Also on the roster are Chrissy Whalen of Mater Dei and Rhi Tanaka of Marina.
* Worth noting: The county players are having a strong impact for the 6-1 Bruins, who are ranked No. 11 in the nation. Brown, a defender, has missed only 13 minutes this season after playing every minute of every game the last three years. Hammoud, a freshman outside midfielder, is among the team’s scoring leaders with a goal and two assists.
USC WOMEN’S SOCCER
* County connections: There are 10 county products on the Trojans roster, including three from Santa Margarita (Ami Aylor, Erica De Vitis and Susie Mora) and two from Villa Park (Shelley Pharris and Meghan Reppe). Also playing for USC are Sheri Simala of Fountain Valley, Kaylee Whitfield of El Modena, Megan Orach of Marina, Katie Ticehurst of Mater Dei and Andrea Warner of Dana Hills.
* Worth noting: Whitfield is among the offensive leaders for USC, with seven goals and 14 points. She’s tied for first in goals in the Pac 10 with Traci Arkenberg of UCLA. Orach, Ticehurst and Warner have started all eight games for USC (6-1-1). Orach tied a single-game school record with eight points Friday in a 6-0 victory over Cal State Fullerton. She scored three goals and had two assists, all in first half.
* County connections: Jenny Glasgow is a sophomore from Corona del Mar.
* Worth noting: She finished second last week in the Colorado State Fall Classic in Ft. Collins with a final round three-over-par 74. Pepperdine’s women’s team finished fourth in the 17-team event.
* Appearing locally: Pepperdine will host the Pepperdine Wave Invitational, Nov. 11-12 at Coto de Caza.
Alumni Report welcomes suggestions of former Orange County prep athletes who have continued their careers in college. Call (714) 966-5904 or fax (714) 966-5663.