It's hard to tell which was the biggest thrill for Kenny Carpenter of Crescenta Valley High.
Carpenter, a junior, won his first individual Southern Section swimming title in the 200-yard freestyle, set a Division II record in the 100 butterfly and led the Falcons to a section championship for the first time since 1993. All were accomplished within two hours.
Winning the 200 freestyle was the most satisfying because it came against the best competition. Carpenter beat defending champion Joel Everman of Notre Dame and Ryan Parmenter of Hart, two of the top swimmers in the region.
Parmenter led for the first 100 yards before Carpenter pulled ahead at the halfway point and held off Everman, a training partner at Swim Pasadena. Carpenter's time of 1:39.03 was more than two seconds faster than his previous best.
"He's normally a quiet guy," Crescenta Valley Coach Pete Loporchio said. "The emotion he showed after winning the 200 free was the most he's ever shown."
Carpenter, The Times' regional boys' swimmer of the year, was just as excited after the 100 butterfly.
He eclipsed by two-hundredths of a second the division record of 49.49 set by Jeff Julian of Walnut in 1993. After the race, Carpenter thrust his arms into the air and pointed to his family in the stands.
Carpenter was the only individual division champion for the Falcons, who won their second section title with a convincing victory over second-place Hart.
Much was expected when Carpenter arrived at Crescenta Valley three years ago.
Last year, he finished second in two individual events at the section finals, and was leading scorer on the water polo team that reached the Division III semifinals.
"We knew he was going to be good as a freshman," Loporchio said. "But some guys just plateau and don't keep improving. He's still getting better."
The rest of The Times' all-region team:
* Troy Dumais, Buena, Sr.--Nation's top high school diver repeated as Southern Section Division I champion, finishing ahead of younger brother Brice. Signed with Texas.
* Anthony Ervin, Hart, Jr.--Just missed Division II records while winning 50 and 100 freestyle. Won 50 freestyle at Junior National West region meet.
* Joel Everman, Notre Dame, Sr.--Won 500 freestyle for second consecutive season and finished second to Carpenter in 200 freestyle at Division II finals. Committed to USC.
* Greg Kim, Harvard-Westlake, Sr.--Best swimmer for Mission League champions capped season with second-place finish in 100 breaststroke at Division II finals.
* Christian Kneppeck, Hart, Sr.--Exchange student helped Indians finish second in Division II finals by qualifying for two individual finals. Helped Hart set Division II record in 400 freestyle relay.
* Ryan Parmenter, Hart, Jr.--Finished third behind Carpenter and Everman in 200 freestyle and was second to Ervin in 100 freestyle in Division II finals.
* Jason Weber, Westlake, Sr.--Best backstroke swimmer in region was fifth in Division I finals in 100 backstroke and seventh in 200 freestyle. Set Marmonte League record in 100 butterfly.