In California, almost 4.2 million public school students in grades 2 through 11 took the Stanford 9 standardized tests this spring--for the second year in a row. All of them were tested in reading, math and writing. Students through grade 8 also took a spelling test, and students in higher grades took exams in science and history/social science.
In this section, The Times presents scores from selected testing subjects.
SCHOOL SCORES STAFF
Contributing to The Times' coverage of the Stanford 9 tests:
* Editors: David Lauter, Tami Dennis, Karin Klein
* Executive News Editor: Steve Mitchell
* Technical Editors: Jim Carr, Martin Leadman, Victor I. Pulver, Doug Smith, Richard O'Reilly, Sandra Poindexter
* Contributing Editors: Paul Loop, Gary Metzker, Lynn Meersman
* Graphics: Chris Erskine, Rebecca Perry, Tom Reinken