‘Feel-Good’ Curricula a Bad Idea
Maureen Stout will discuss her book, “The Feel-Good Curriculum: The Dumbing Down of America’s Kids in the Name of Self-Esteem,” at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Newport Beach Central Library, 1000 Avocado Ave.
Stout, assistant professor of educational leadership and policy studies at Cal State Northridge, calls for an end to “the failed experiment of self-esteem programs that essentially celebrate low expectations” and offers solutions to the negative qualities they have fostered in students: narcissism, separatism and cynicism.
Stout’s appearance is part of the Manuscripts Literary Lecture Series. $10 general admission. (949) 717-3890.
Culinary historian Cara de Silva’s book “In Memory’s Kitchen: A Legacy from the Women of Terezin” is a collection of recipes, poems and letters by women in a Czechoslovakian concentration camp during World War II.
De Silva will discuss her book at the Women’s Voices luncheon, sponsored by the Women’s Division of the Jewish Federation of Orange County, at 10:30 a.m. Monday at the Hyatt Regency Irvine, 17900 Jamboree Road. $45. Reservations and information: (714) 755-5555.
Also Coming Up:
* Elizabeth Cosin will discuss and sign “Zen and the City of Angels” at Coffee, Tea & Mystery, 11931 Valley View St., Garden Grove. 1 p.m. today. (714) 898-2583.
* Brad Stetson will discuss and sign “Tender Fingertips” at Borders Books and Music, 429 Associated Road, Brea. 7:30 p.m. Monday. (714) 672-0120.
* Eddie the Dog, the canine co-star of TV’s “Frazier,” will make an appearance to promote “My Life as a Dog” at Borders Books and Music, 1890 Newport Blvd., Costa Mesa. 7 p.m. Wednesday. Trainer Mathilde de Cagny also will be on hand to discuss and sign the book in addition to doing a demonstration with Eddie, a Russell terrier.
* Barbara DeMarco Barrett will interview literary agent Julie Castiglia and author Andrea Campbell (“Bringing Up Ziggy”) on “Writers on Writing” on KUCI (88.9 FM) in Irvine. 4 p.m. Thursday.
* J. Michael Reidenbach and Dana K. Krenkowski will discuss and sign “Legacy & Destiny” at Coffee, Tea & Mystery, 11931 Valley View St., Garden Grove. 2 p.m. Thursday. (714) 898-2583.
* Nancy Pickard will sign “The Whole Truth” at Book Carnival, 348 S. Tustin Ave., Orange. 6 p.m. Thursday. (714) 538-3210. Pickard also will sign at Coffee, Tea & Mystery, 11931 Valley View St., Garden Grove. 1 p.m. Saturday. (714) 898-2583.
* Victoria Seitz, author of “Your Executive Image” and “Power Dressing,” will discuss International Savvy for Businessmen and Women at Borders Books and Music in South Coast Plaza, 3333 Bear St., Costa Mesa. 3 p.m. Saturday. (714) 432-7854.
* Children’s author Marty Allen will read from “Let’s Play Ball” and children’s performer Patti Teel will sing songs from her new release, “The Floppy Sleep Game,” at Borders Books and Music in South Coast Plaza, 3333 Bear St., Costa Mesa. 3 p.m. Saturday. (714) 432-7854.
* Alex Avila will discuss “LoveTypes” at Borders Books and Music, 1890 Newport Blvd., Costa Mesa. 6:30 p.m. Saturday. (949) 631-8661.
Send information about book-related events at least 10 days before event to: Dennis McLellan, O.C. Books & Authors, The Times’ Orange County edition, 1375 Sunflower Ave., Costa Mesa, CA 92626. Or e-mail to email@example.com.