THE TIMES’ RANKINGS
A look at the top 10 boys’ and girls’ cross-country teams in the Southland:
1. Canyon Country Canyon (SS--Foothill)
The second-ranked team in the nation by Harrier magazine had seven of the top 10 finishers in its league finals last week.
2. Long Beach Poly (SS--Moore)
Sore shins have sidelined Oscar Mendez since Sept. 22, but Jackrabbits still took five of the top six places in league finals.
3. Riverside Rubidoux (SS--Sunkist)
Falcons enter postseason as top-ranked Division II team in state after taking first seven places in league finals.
4. Lake Forest El Toro (SS--South Coast)
Chargers move up five spots after defeating Dana Hills, 28-38, in league finals last Friday.
5. Dana Point Dana Hills (SS--South Coast)
Dolphins lost to El Toro in league finals, but won share of league title because they beat Chargers in earlier dual meet.
6. Temecula Valley (SS--Southwestern)
Golden Bears are expected to be at full strength for Southern Section preliminaries Saturday after competing without two of top five runners in league finals.
7. Simi Valley Royal (SS--Marmonte)
Highlanders have run their best three races of the season in last three meets.
8. Barstow (SS--Desert Sky)
Aztecs remain top-ranked Division III team in state after taking five of the top six places in league finals.
9. Anaheim Katella (SS--Empire)
Knights move up a spot after winning their 12th consecutive league title last week.
10. Rosemead Bosco Tech
Tigers’ top seven runners should be rested for section preliminaries after racing infrequently in October.
1. Anaheim Esperanza (SS--Sunset)
The eighth-ranked team in the nation suffered its only loss of the season to top-ranked Saratoga Springs (N.Y.) in the Great Race of the Great Bay at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco on Sept. 8.
2. Chino Hills Ayala (SS--Sierra)
Bulldogs have run two best races of season in last two meets.
3. Dana Point Dana Hills (SS--South Coast)
Dolphins move up six spots after setting course team-time record in league finals.
4. Murrieta Valley (SS--Southwestern)
Nighthawks had five of top seven finishers in league finals last week.
5. Irvine Woodbridge (SS--Sea View)
The Southern Section’s top-ranked Division II team had five of the top eight finishers in league finals.
6. Palos Verdes Peninsula (SS--Bay)
Panthers had seven of top 11 finishers in league finals to win 11th consecutive title.
7. Fountain Valley (SS--Sunset)
Bethany Nickless, Amanda O’Neal and Erin Empting give Barons solid 1-2-3 punch.
8. Yucaipa (SS--San Andreas)
Thunderbirds are eighth-ranked Division I team in state and Southern Section polls.
9. Canyon Country Canyon (SS--Foothill)
Cowboys had seven of top 12 finishers in league finals to win eighth consecutive title.
10. Simi Valley Royal (SS--Marmonte)
Highlanders won a share of second consecutive league title last week after winning first Ventura County championship on Oct. 26.