Guatemalan striker Carlos Ruiz was the only Galaxy player honored Saturday night at Major League Soccer's awards ceremony at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood.
Ruiz's bicycle-kick goal against the Columbus Crew at the Home Depot Center in August was chosen as the league's play of the year and the forward shared the Golden Boot award as the league's joint-leading goal scorer with Taylor Twellman of the New England Revolution.
Other award winners:
* MVP -- Preki (Kansas City)
* Scoring champion -- Preki
* Rookie -- Damani Ralph (Chicago)
* Defender -- Carlos Bocanegra (Chicago)
* Goalkeeper -- Pat Onstad (San Jose)
* Humanitarian award -- Ben Olsen (D.C. United)
* Goal of the year -- Ralph, Aug. 13 vs. Columbus
* Comeback player -- Chris Armas (Chicago)
* Fair play award -- Brian McBride (Columbus)
* Coach -- Dave Sarachan (Chicago)
* Referee -- Brian Hall
* Executive -- Doug Hamilton (Galaxy vice president and general manager)
* Commissioner's award -- Ivan Gazidis (MLS deputy commissioner)
* Best XI -- Onstad; Bocanegra, Eddie Pope (MetroStars), Ryan Nelsen (D.C. United); Armas, Preki, Mark Chung (Colorado), DaMarcus Beasley (Chicago), Landon Donovan (San Jose); John Spencer (Colorado), Ante Razov (Chicago).
-- Grahame L. Jones