* Sylmar tournament
* When: Saturday, all day.
* Where: Sylmar, Chatsworth highs.
* Fast facts: There are several good tournaments in the Southland this weekend, including Chino Hills Ayala and San Gabriel Gabrielino. But this one touts 25 of the City Section’s top teams competing in five pools, with the finals scheduled to begin around 6:30 p.m. Competitors include undefeated Sylmar, the section title favorite, as well as Palisades, Granada Hills and Lake Balboa Birmingham. Verdugo Hills and Woodland Hills Taft, among others, have opted to play at Gabrielino.
* Mt. San Antonio College Invitational
* When: Friday, Division III, IV and V, 1:10 p.m.; Saturday, Division I and II, 7:15 a.m.
* Where: Mt. San Antonio College, Walnut.
* Fast facts: More than 12,000 runners from over 500 schools are expected to compete in the largest high school cross-country meet in the world. The featured races will be the boys’ and girls’ Division I-II team and individual sweepstakes Saturday morning, beginning at 9. The Chino Don Lugo boys and Murrieta Valley girls are favored to win the sweepstakes titles. The boys’ individual sweepstakes could be the most eagerly anticipated race of the meet as it will include nine runners -- topped by senior Mohamed Trafeh of Duarte -- who are ranked among the top 30 in the West region of the U.S.