Fullerton police shoot and kill 17-year-old girl on 91 Freeway

This photo from the Anaheim Police Department shows eastbound lanes that were blocked on the 91 Freeway after law enforcement responded to a shooting involving a Fullerton police officer.
(Anaheim Police Department)

A Fullerton police officer shot and killed a 17-year-old girl on the 91 Freeway in Anaheim on Friday night, but it was unclear what prompted the shooting, authorities said.

The girl’s family has been notified, according to Daron Wyatt, a spokesman for the Anaheim Police Department. She was a local resident, but her name has not been released.

The incident occurred on the 91 at Kraemer Boulevard, Anaheim police said on Twitter.

The girl was shot shortly after 7 p.m. and died at a hospital, police said. Although it wasn’t immediately clear what led to the shooting, “an item appearing to be a handgun” was found at the scene, Anaheim police tweeted Saturday.


All lanes of the eastbound 91 Freeway in Anaheim were closed Friday evening.

The Anaheim Police Department reported on Twitter as of 8:19 p.m. Friday that no officers were injured during the shooting. Orange County Dist. Atty. Todd Spitzer and homicide detectives were dispatched to conduct an investigation.

Because the girl was shot by a Fullerton police officer in Anaheim, another law enforcement jurisdiction, investigations by multiple enforcement agencies were launched.

Fullerton police also will conduct an internal investigation into the shooting, which is routine in such incidents.

Wyatt said that Orange County investigations into incidents involving shootings by police officers can take up to nine months.

The closure of the eastbound 91 Freeway caused extensive backups in the area. Authorities said the shooting may have been witnessed by many motorists. Investigators have been in contact with some witnesses and are requesting that anyone who has information to call CrimeStoppers at (855) TIP-OCCS (855-847-6227) or visit to submit a tip online.


10:15 a.m.: This story has been updated with news of the 17-year-old’s death.