Advertisement
California

Van Nuys house fire is linked to a hoverboard that was being charged

US-LIFESTYLE-TRANSPORT-TECHNOLOGY

Michael Tran uses his hoverboard on the Venice Beach Boardwalk on December 10, 2015. Authorities say a hoverboard that was being charged caused a fire that damaged a Van Nuys home. 

(FREDERIC J. BROWN / AFP/Getty Images)

Los Angeles fire officials say a weekend blaze that damaged a Van Nuys home was caused by a hoverboard that was being charged.

Department spokeswoman Margaret Stewart says the fire Sunday caused significant damage to the residence. Nobody was hurt.

See the most-read stories this hour >>

Reports of hoverboards bursting into flames have come out of at least 10 states in recent months.

Advertisement

The two-wheeled, self-balancing, battery-powered devices are prohibited on all Metrolink trains, under a ban that went into effect Monday.

ALSO

Video: Mike Tyson falls hard off a hoverboard

Why a federal regulator is warning about shipping hoverboards (in a DeLorean or not)

Advertisement

L.A. firefighters see their first hoverboard fire, captured on video; Metrolink bans devices


Advertisement