Want the best hotels in the world? Look no farther than Vista, Calif. ... or Tanzania ... or Wyoming
The Cal-a-Vie health and fitness spa in Vista, Calif., ranked sixth in the 100 best hotels in the world in Conde Nast Traveler’s Readers’ Choice Awards 2015.
It’s the only California hotel to make it into the top 10.
Cal-a-Vie Health Spa, a sprawling Mediterranean-style resort that caters mostly to women, was ranked the 13th-best hotel in the same survey last year.
This year it joins two other U.S. resorts., an island getaway in Georgia and a posh dude ranch in Wyoming, in the top 10.
Other California hotels among the 100 best include the Landing Lake Tahoe Resort & Spa in South Lake Tahoe at No. 65, Inn Above Tide in Sausalito at No. 79, the Montage Beverly Hills at No. 88, the Montage Laguna Beach at No. 90 and the Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village at No. 98.
Hotels were ranked and selected by more than 128,000 readers who participated in the travel magazine’s 28th annual survey. Luxury game lodges and safari camps in Africa, castles in Ireland and posh hotel brands like Waldorf Astoria and Mandarin Oriental received the highest marks.
Here are the top 10 hotels:
1. Singita Grumeti in Serengeti, Tanzania
2. The Lodge & Spa at Brush Creek Ranch in Saratoga, Wyo.
3. Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve & Wellness Retreat in Cederberg Mountains, South Africa
4. ITC Grand Bharat in Haryana, India
5. Portrait Roma in Rome, Italy
6. Cal-a-Vie in Vista, Calif.
7. Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem in Israel
8. Nayara Springs in Arenal, Costa Rica
9. Shinta Mani Club in Siem Reap, Cambodia
Readers’ Choice Awards also selected the best hotels in the U.S. The Waldorf-Astoria in Chicago took the top spot, followed by the Restoration on King in Charleston, S.C., and XV Beacon in Boston.
Get inspired to get away.
Explore California, the West and beyond with the weekly Escapes newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.