BASEBALL : DAILY REPORT : DODGERS : Dibble Fined, but Not Suspended


The Cincinnati Reds’ Rob Dibble was not suspended for hitting the Chicago Cubs’ Doug Dascenzo with a thrown ball, the National League announced Wednesday.

Dibble was fined an undisclosed amount for the July 23 incident at Chicago’s Wrigley Field, when he hit Dascenzo with a ball after fielding his run-scoring suicide squeeze bunt.

“I’m shocked,” Red catcher Joe Oliver said. “I thought for sure he would be suspended.”


Dascenzo, reached Wednesday night at Philadelphia, said: “It’s not my decision to make. When there is a situation like that and officials make a ruling, you abide by those rules. Whatever Bill White says is OK with me. It happened. Hopefully, something like that won’t happen again and you won’t have to go to league officials to determine the results.”

Dibble, who recently announced that he is receiving counseling in hopes of curbing his aggressive behavior, was not surprised by the ruling.

“It was what I expected all along,” Dibble said. “I’m sad for the media that they didn’t get a better story out of it. It goes to show that (National League President) Bill White is a fair and just man. I can get on with my life. My slate is clean. I have served my penalties. It is a great day for me.”

Dodger Manager Tom Lasorda said it would not be enough for Jose Offerman merely to play shortstop while Alfredo Griffin is recovering from a broken cheekbone. “He has to play championship shortstop,” Lasorda said. Besides the Chicago Cubs’ Shawon Dunston, other shortstop trade possibilities include Houston’s Rafael Ramirez and the New York Mets’ Garry Templeton. . . . In 105 starts, Brett Butler has reached base in the first inning 49 times, scoring 25 times. The Dodgers are 41-19 when they score first. . . . Jeff Hamilton’s wife Shelly gave birth to a boy, Tyler Ryan, Wednesday at their Flint, Mich. home. Hamilton will join triple-A Albuquerque in Colorado Springs Friday to begin a rehabilitation assignment. . . . Schottzie, the St. Bernard which served as the Red mascot and owner Marge Schott’s constant companion, was put to sleep after a long bout with cancer. “It’s going to be tough going home tonight and not petting her or talking to her,” Schott said. “Pets are always there for you. They never ask for anything. They never ask for a raise.”