Advertisement

Sun Valley Man, 33, Electrocutes Himself

TIMES STAFF WRITER

A Sun Valley man apparently electrocuted himself by wandering into a puddle in his back yard while holding a lamp attached to an extension cord, police said Thursday.

Greg Gearin, 33, died almost immediately after the incident, which occurred about 7:40 p.m. Wednesday at his home in the 11100 block of Allegheny Street, said Los Angeles Police Lt. Joseph Garcia.

Gearin, a contractor, was carrying a light mounted on the end of a metal tripod when he stepped into the water at the same time the cord touched the puddle, caused by garden watering earlier in the day. Although most electrical cords are waterproof or water resistant, the water got into the gap where the light cord was plugged into the extension cord, making contact with the electrical current, Garcia said, “and that completed the electrical contact circuit.

“He was accidentally electrocuted.”

Advertisement

Garcia said police have ruled out suicide, because Gearin was planning to meet his girlfriend later Wednesday night and had never talked of suicide, but an autopsy will be performed.

Gearin was found by a roommate who suffered a slight shock trying to save him, Garcia said. Gearin was pronounced dead at the scene.


Advertisement