* WHAT: First-round games
* WHEN: Tonight, 7:30
* TICKET PRICES: Adults, $7; students and children under 12, $4
BOYS' DIVISION III
* WHO: Barstow (26-3) at Chaminade (27-1)
* MATCHUPS: Southern Section Division III-A champion Chaminade meets the Division III-AA runner-up Aztecs. Barstow's 14-game winning streak, which included a 69-66 victory over La Canada in the first-round of the playoffs, was broken Saturday in a 59-47 loss to Ocean View. The undersized Aztecs don't match up well against Chaminade, which has three starters 6 feet 5 or taller. Alvin Yarber, a 6-2 center who averages 10.5 points, is the only Aztec starter taller than 6 feet. Chaminade senior forward Scott Long is coming off a 35-point performance against Bishop Montgomery.
BOYS' DIVISION V
* WHO: Santa Clara (14-13) at Visalia Central Valley Christian (24-4)
* MATCHUPS: No. 3-seeded Central Valley Christian takes on a 14-time Southern Section champion that lost in this year's Division V-AA final to Pacific Hills. Central Valley Christian, winner of three of the past four Central Section Division V titles, is led by senior point guard Blake VanDerSchaaf, who averages 24.5 points. The Cavaliers' front line, which measures 6-3, 6-4 and 6-5, averages 35 points. The Saints are led by Nick Jones, who has averaged 15 points in four playoff games, B.J. Ward (18.8) and Ryan McGill (13.7).
GIRLS' DIVISION III
* WHO: Shafter (22-6) vs. Alemany (24-6) at L.A. Baptist High
* MATCHUPS: Alemany, which has never advanced to a state final, enters the Southern Regional seeded No. 1. The Indians routed La Puente, 62-39, in the Southern Section III-AA final, the most lopsided score of the 10 girls' championship games. Sophomore guard Kate Beckler is averaging 23 points in the playoffs, and senior guard Kelli Kobayashi and freshman center Karina Siam combined for 31 points in the final. Shafter, the Central Section Division III runner-up, lost to South Sequoia League rival Bakersfield Wasco, 54-49. Junior guard Kati Hamilton is averaging 15.2 points and junior forward Adrienne Colbert is averaging 9.6 points and 11 rebounds for the Generals.
GIRLS' DIVISION III
* WHO: San Diego University (13-11) at Harvard-Westlake (21-5)
* MATCHUPS: No. 2-seeded Harvard-Westlake makes its first appearance in the state playoffs after defeating Morningside, 45-41, in the III-A final. Guards Brooke Porter and Corrie Roberts have been the Wolverines' leading scorers in the playoffs. University lost to San Diego Kearny, 48-42, in the San Diego Section final and is making its third consecutive appearance in the state playoffs. Senior guard Megan Bryan averages 12 points for the Centurions and guard Julie Babonas scored 13 points in the section final.
* Whittier High defeated Berkeley, 31-20, on March 25, 1916, in the first boys' state championship game. Girls' state championships were added in 1981.
* The South, which won seven of 10 divisions last year, holds a 65-61 edge in titles. In girls, the North leads, 35-28. In boys, the South leads, 37-26.
* Two-day attendance for the state championship games has exceeded 20,000 in six of the past eight years. The record of 22,613 was established in 1992 at ARCO Arena in Sacramento.