Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim
HIGH SCHOOL INVITATIONAL
* 4:30 p.m.: Brea-Olinda vs. Chino Ayala (girls)
* 6 p.m.: Rancho Buena Vista (San Diego) vs. Los Alamitos
* 7:30 p.m.: Dominguez vs. Waltrip (Houston)
* 9 p.m.: Mater Dei vs. Glendora
* Game 1: Pepperdine (5-1) vs. No. 8 Kansas (4-0), 2:30 p.m.
This is a rematch of last December’s 96-83 Jayhawk victory at Allen Fieldhouse, when then-senior Wave guard Gerald Brown scored 35 points, the most an opponent scored against Kansas all season. But the Jayhawks are a very different team after losing center Raef LaFrentz and swingman Paul Pierce to the locked-out NBA. Kansas, which plays defending national champion Kentucky in the Great Eight on Tuesday, has been led in the early-going this season by sophomores--forward Kenny Gregory and center Eric Chenowith, from Villa Park. Kansas leads the series, 6-1, having won six straight from the Waves after losing at Malibu, 96-89, in December 1979.
* Game 2: No. 10 UCLA (2-2) vs. No. 12 Oklahoma State (4-0), 4:30 p.m.
The Bruins’ perfect 3-0 record in Wooden Classic appearances could be severely tested by an Oklahoma State team that returns four starters from last season’s 22-7 club that lost to Duke in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Though the teams haven’t played in a while, one Cowboy player is very familiar with UCLA is point guard Doug Gottlieb, who played at Tustin High and played against the Bruins when he was a Notre Dame starter in 1995-96 before transferring to Oklahoma State.
TV: Channel 9
Radio: AM 1150
Tickets: $15, $30, $50, $75, $150--(714) 740-2000
* Kansas 81, Massachusetts 75
* UCLA 82, Kentucky 81
* Villanova 67, Purdue 50
* UCLA 73, Maryland 63
* Arizona 69, Utah 61
* Louisville 93, LSU 87 (OT)
* Stanford 76, Georgia 74
* UCLA 69, New Mexico 58