Kevin Spacey assault accusations under review by L.A. prosecutors
The Los Angeles County district attorney’s office is reviewing a case of alleged sexual abuse involving Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey, officials said Wednesday.
“Yes. I can confirm our office did receive a case involving Kevin Spacey,” Greg Risling, a spokesman for the district attorney’s office, said in an email.
The investigation was referred to prosecutors April 5 by the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department.
The department’s Special Victims Bureau began an investigation into allegations of a sexual assault involving Spacey on Dec 11, 2017, Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Nicole Nishida said.
“The events were reported to have taken place in October of 1992 in West Hollywood involving a male adult,” she said.
The investigation was completed and presented to the district attorney’s office Entertainment Industry Sex Crimes Task Force for review and filing consideration.
Officials have declined to give specifics about the allegation against Spacey, but the date of the alleged incident would make it impossible to prosecute.
Any sex crime involving an adult that occurred in 1992 would fall outside California’s statute of limitations. Two years ago, California lawmakers enacted a law eliminating the previous 10-year statute of limitations for rape — the most serious of sex crimes — but that does not include offenses prior to 2016.
The case is the first police investigation naming Spacey as a suspect in Los Angeles County.
LAPD Capt. Billy Hayes said Wednesday that his department does not have any investigations into Spacey.
Spacey, 58, the former artistic director of the Old Vic theater in London, already is the subject of multiple police investigations in Massachusetts and England.
He is the subject of at least three sex crime investigations by London’s Metropolitan Police. The Old Vic said it has received 20 allegations of inappropriate behavior involving him.
Spacey also is facing criminal investigation in the United States after an 18-year-old reported to authorities in November that Spacey grabbed his genitals in a Nantucket, Mass., bar in 2016.
The two-time Oscar winner has been accused of sexual misconduct by at least 15 men; the alleged incidents span his decades in film and on the stage. In October, actor Anthony Rapp alleged that in 1986, when Rapp was 14, Spacey made sexual advances toward him in a hotel room. Since then, several men have come forward to report incidents involving the actor.
After Rapp made his allegation, Spacey issued a statement saying he did not remember the incident but apologized for “deeply inappropriate drunken behavior.”
As the number of alleged incidents escalated, Netflix cut Spacey from his lead role in the award-winning series “House of Cards.” Ridley Scott also edited out Spacey from his lead role in “All the Money in the World,” reshooting parts of the film with Christopher Plummer as John Paul Getty Sr.
Amid the wave of accusations, Spacey admitted himself to a sexual treatment facility in Arizona.
3:30 p.m.: This article was updated with comments from Nishida.
1:50 p.m.: This article was updated with additional details about allegations about Spacey.
This article was originally published at 1:30 p.m.
The perils of parenting through a pandemic
What’s going on with school? What do kids need? Get 8 to 3, a newsletter dedicated to the questions that keep California families up at night.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.