Advertisement
California

Long Beach police believe man caught on video shot and killed mother and 4-year-old daughter

Luis Anaya, left, Carina Mancera, right, and Jennabel Anaya, 4, center.
Luis Anaya and Carina Mancera attend a celebration with their 4-year-old daughter, Jennabel Anaya. Jennabel and her mother were shot to death in August.
(Family photo)

A man previously described as a person of interest in the August killings of a mother and her 4-year-old daughter in Long Beach has now been identified in video as the triggerman in the slayings, Long Beach police said.

Investigators tracked the movements of the man, whose identity remains a mystery, to the crime scene after reviewing surveillance camera footage from the night Carina Mancera, 26, and her daughter, Jennabel Anaya, were gunned down just feet from their Long Beach home, police said in a statement Wednesday.

A Long Beach police spokesman could not say how the recording was obtained, and declined to say if police had clear footage of the man at the shooting scene. Previously, investigators had said the only video recordings of the actual shooting were grainy and of poor quality.

The mother and daughter were returning home from grocery shopping, steps from their door, around 10:20 p.m. on Aug. 6 when an assailant emerged at the intersection of Locust Avenue and 9th Street, police have said.

Advertisement

The attacker opened fire on Mancera and her daughter, then fired one shot at Luis Anaya, Mancera’s longtime boyfriend and Jennabel’s father, police said. Anaya was not hurt, but Mancera died at the scene. Jennabel died at a hospital a short time later.

Police released surveillance footage last month of the suspect inside a convenience store near the shooting scene. He was also spotted in footage riding a train carrying luggage shortly after the shootings, and police fear he may have fled from California.

A motive in the killings remains unclear. Investigators have said that Anaya, the surviving boyfriend, did not recognize the man.

The Long Beach City Council and the county Board of Supervisors have offered rewards totaling $40,000 for information leading to an arrest in the shootings. But police officials said they had hoped to receive more calls to anonymous tip lines in the days after the killings.

Advertisement

james.queally@latimes.com

Follow @JamesQueallyLAT for crime and police news in California.

ALSO

Father found not guilty in death of his teenage son after struggle with gun

One burned down home for disabled adults, five men dead and, two months later, still no answers

L.A. County sheriff’s sergeant is killed in Lancaster shooting; suspect is in custody


Newsletter
Get our Essential California newsletter
Advertisement