NFL rule changes for the 2012 season
ON THE FIELD
• All turnovers will be reviewed in the replay booth.
• The overtime rules in the playoffs (adopted for the 2010 season) will be extended to the regular season. A game can end on the first possession only if team scores a touchdown. Otherwise, the other team gets a possession. If no team scores in the extra period, the game is a tie.
• The penalty for 12 men on the field (not in the huddle) is now a dead-ball foul, so it can be called without the ball being snapped.
• The penalty for kicking a ball is now accompanied by a loss of down.
• Players subject to a crack-back block are included on the list of defenseless players, which can draw a penalty.
• Soft pads are mandatory for all players.
• Last names on uniforms can now include Roman numerals (as in Robert Griffin III), Junior (Jr.) and Senior (Sr.) designations.
OFF THE FIELD
• The trade deadline has been changed to the Tuesday following Week 8 (instead of Week 6).
• Teams may designate one player, who will be permitted to return from “injured reserve” to practice after Week 6 and to game action after Week 8. Others on the list are sidelined for the season.
Get our high school sports newsletter
Prep Rally is devoted to the SoCal high school sports experience, bringing you scores, stories and a behind-the-scenes look at what makes prep sports so popular.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.