Smokey, an aptly named terrier, saved from the dog pound a few years ago, repaid his adopted family by rousing them from their sleep during a house fire that caused $30,000 in damage, officials said.
"If they didn't have the dog . . . I would guess these people wouldn't be walking around today," said Jack Sanfilippo, captain of the Northwest Hernando County Fire District. He said the blaze was started by a fireplace ember.
John and Dolores Campbell had been asleep for several hours Saturday when Smokey began whining from his spot at the foot of the bed. Campbell got up, opened the bedroom door and found a wall of flames. He roused his wife, they fled through a window, and a neighbor coaxed the dog from the house.