Advertisement

San Diego

A fire that apparently broke out after food was left unattended on a stove caused $200,000 damage to a house in East San Diego early Thursday, authorities said.

The owner of the large home in the 3700 block of Fairmount Avenue was awakened by a smoke detector and was able to awaken other residents and escape, San Diego firefighters said. No injuries were reported.

Firefighters responding to the 2:13 a.m. call said flames from the blaze rose 60 feet in the air. They said the house had been divided into several apartments and that a portion was used as an office for a used-car dealership. A spokesman for EF Auto Brokers said the damage was “very extensive.”

Heat from the fire also caused buildings on either side of the house to ignite, firefighters said. Damage to those buildings and to cars parked in the area was estimated at $50,000.

Advertisement


Advertisement
Advertisement