Advertisement

ROUNDUP : Nelson, Padilla Key Glendale College Cross-Country Win

Robert Nelson and Grace Padilla led the Glendale College men’s and women’s cross-country teams to victory in a Western State Conference meet Friday at Shoreline Park in Santa Barbara.

Nelson, a transfer from Pasadena City College, led a 1-2 Vaquero finish in the men’s race, timing 21 minutes 11 seconds over the four-mile course. Defending state champion Hugo Allan Garcia finished second in 21:13.

Glendale placed four runners among the top five finishers, and five in the top 10 for a 22-point total. Bakersfield finished second with 75 points, followed by Moorpark (104), Santa Barbara (108) and Ventura (141).

Padilla, a transfer from East L. A. College, timed 19:12 over the 5,000-meter course to win the women’s race by 48 seconds.

Advertisement

The women’s team scoring was much closer than the men’s. Glendale totaled 53 points, followed by Santa Monica (68), Valley (80), Ventura (83) and Moorpark (88).

The meet is the first of three in the WSC this season and counts toward 25% of the overall team scoring. The second meet also will count for 25%, and the final one is worth 50%.

“We ran pretty well today,” Glendale men’s Coach Eddie Lopez said. “Robert (Nelson) and Allan (Garcia) broke away from the pack at the three-mile mark, and Robert just pulled away from him at the end. Allan just let him go.”

It was the first meet of the season for Garcia, who lost only one race last year.

Advertisement

GIRLS’ TENNIS

Thousand Oaks 14, Louisville 4--The host Lancers won eight of nine singles matches to easily win the nonleague match.

Michelle Palmisano and Tricia Shinden were each 3-0 in singles play for Thousand Oaks (3-0), and teammates Mindy Smith and Amy Armstrong went 3-0 in doubles.

Chaminade 13, Brentwood 5--Laura Gross swept her singles matches and Tracy Welch and Devon Chmura won all of their doubles matches for Chaminade in the nonleague match at Balboa Park.

Advertisement

WOMEN’S VOLLEYBALL

Pierce d. Glendale, 15-4, 15-3, 15-12--Jeannie Lane had seven kills and three stuff blocks to lead Pierce in a Western State Conference opener at Glendale.

HIGH SCHOOL WATER POLO

Harvard-Westlake 7, Edison 4--Alan Paul scored twice to lead the Wolverines in the quarterfinals of the Millikan tournament at Long Beach Poly High.

Advertisement

Harvard-Westlake will meet Capistrano Valley in a semifinal match today at 9:20 a.m. at Belmont Plaza Pool.


Advertisement
Advertisement