If Jenny Jennings was to set the county record for three-pointers in a single season Saturday night, she was going to have do it against visiting La Crescenta Crescenta Valley, ranked sixth in the state.
Jennings succeeded, making three of 11 three-pointers, but Capistrano Valley, the county’s 10th-ranked team, didn’t, falling to Crescenta Valley, 59-52.
Jennings has 108 three-pointers this season, breaking the record of 105 set by Edison’s Debbie Fischer during the 1989-90 season.
Jennings finished with 17 points. Teammate Natasha Combs had 28 points for the Cougars (15-7).
Crescenta Valley (20-2) led for most of the game, but the Cougars pulled to within four points with two minutes left.
Capistrano Valley failed to make key free-throws while the Falcons made theirs, and that proved the difference.
Michelle Greco had 24 points for Crescenta Valley.
(BEGIN TEXT OF INFOBOX / INFOGRAPHIC)
The three-point field goal record of Capistrano Valley’s Jenny Jennings, who broke the single-season county record by making three three-point shots during the Cougars’ 59-52 loss to La Crescenta Crescenta Valley Saturday night:
Season School 3-pt FG 1993-94 Estancia 31 1994-95 Newport Harbor 30 1995-96 Capistrano Valley 75 1996-97 Capistrano Valley 108 Total 244
Records broken by Jennings
* Orange County, single-season: Debbie Fischer (Edison), 1989-90, 105
* Orange County, career: Aiyana Nash (Sonora), 1993-96, 220
Other three-point records:
* Southern Section single-season: Sarah Hagman (La Crescenta Crescenta Valley), 1993-94, 121
* Southern Section career: Jenny Nakanishi (Culver City), 1990-93, 277
* State, national single-season: Danielle Viglione (Fair Oaks Del Campo), 1991-92, 169
* State career: Danielle Viglione (Fair Oaks Bella Vista, Del Campo), 1990-93, 379
* National career: Jaime Walz (Fort Thomas (Ky.) Highlands), 1993-96, 453