Wright Will Defend Title in Hardcourt Tournament
Defending champion Bob Wright of Redmond, Wash., is top-seeded in the U.S. Tennis Assn.'s 2000 Men’s 45 Hardcourt National Championships on Monday through July 9 at Westlake Tennis and Swim Club in Westlake Village.
Gene Malin of Woodland Hills is seeded No. 5. Malin, the 1998 singles champion, won the doubles title with Anand Amritraj of Calabasas last year.
Amritraj has not entered and Malin will team with Ron Cornell of Los Angeles.
Also entered are Jurgen Janson and Larry Rundle of Westlake Village, Alan Berkowitz and Mark Blons of Calabasas; Luis Cadiz of Sherman Oaks; Sam Calabrese of Oxnard; David Cohn of Thousand Oaks and Tom Coulter of Ventura.
* The location of the American Legion District 20 All-Star games has been changed from Notre Dame High to Chatsworth High.
The Division I game for 18-and-under players is scheduled for approximately 1 p.m. Monday , following the completion of the 10 a.m. Division II game for 17-and-under players.
* Pitcher John Gonzalez of Camarillo High has committed to Gonzaga.
* The Chatsworth-based Southern California KAOS travel team won the 18-and-under division of the Las Vegas Blast tournament last week in Las Vegas.
Pitcher Lera Lazerus won four games for the KAOS.The team went 5-0, beating The Fury from Washington state, 13-2, in the championship game.
* The Doug Messner/Payne Weber Grass Volleyball Series is scheduled for 9 a.m. Saturday at Moorpark College.
Competition is slated in open, A, B, and high school doubles divisions for boys’ and girls.
Players must be California Beach Volleyball Assn. members. A membership registration fee of $15 may be paid on site. Check-in time is 8 a.m.
Information: (805) 378-1400, ext. 1711.
* Registration is being accepted for three sessions of the the Dana Pump basketball day camps at Birmingham High from July 31-Aug. 4 and from Aug. 7-11, and at Balboa Park in Encino from Aug. 28-Sept. 1.
The camps are open to boys and girls ages 7-16.
Cost is $200, with discounts for campers who attend two or more sessions and reduced rates for families. Information: Double Pump, (800) 678-0935.
* A session of the Moorpark College basketball camp is scheduled for Monday through July 7.
The camp, under the direction of women’s Coach Sherry Ruter of Moorpark, is for players 8-16 and will run from 8 a.m.-noon each day. There will be no session on July 4.
* Village Christian High is staging a boys’ basketball tournament July 28-29 at Village Christian.
Information: (818) 767-8382, ext. 293.
* The Los Angeles Unified School District is sponsoring a series of all-comers meets each Wednesday night through Aug. 22 at Birmingham High.
The meets include beginning and world-class athletes, with competition for middle-school aged competitors and younger beginning at 6 p.m. each week. Novice, Open and Masters competition will follow at at approximately 7:30 p.m.
There is no entry fee, and athletes may participant in as many events as desired.