A look at the top 25 high school basketball teams as the season begins.
Rk. SCHOOL | Comment
1. SIERRA CANYON | Ziaire Williams, BJ Boston and Terren Frank are a great starting point.
2. MATER DEI | Six players who scored in double figures are back.
3. RANCHO CHRISTIAN | 7-footer Evan Mobley is going to get his guards lots of open shots.
4. ETIWANDA | The arrival of Jaylen Clark adds to talented group of returnees.
5. WINDWARD | Improving young players make Wildcats ready for breakthrough season.
6. HARVARD-WESTLAKE | Center Mason Hooks leads a team with great chemistry.
7. ST. JOHN BOSCO | Braves have the size and guard play to beat any team.
8. RIVERSIDE POLY |Centennial transfer DJ Davis joins Lamont Butler.
9. BIRMINGHAM | City title favorites will run and score.
10. FAIRFAX | Lions feature very good guards for new coach Reggie Morris Jr.
11. BISHOP MONTGOMERY | 6-7 Isaiah Johnson gives coach Doug Mitchell top player to build around.
12. WESTCHESTER | Coach Ed Azzam’s decision not to retire tells plenty about the Comets’ chances.
13. RENAISSANCE | Lots of foreign players who are tall, tough and can shoot.
14. JSERRA | Ian Martinez is ready to lead Lions.
15. CHAMINADE | Guards Keith Higgins and Kenneth Simpson are standout duo.
16. BRENTWOOD | Sophomore Christian Moore is coming off terrific freshman season.
17. DAMIEN | 6-4 Malik Thomas should be elite scorer.
18. MAYFAIR | Josh Christopher knows how to lift others up.
19. VALENCIA | Jake Hlywiak set three-point shooting record with 96.
20. CORONA CENTENNIAL | Guard Paris Dawson will have to lead promising freshmen.
21. HERITAGE CHRISTIAN | Sophomore Skyy Clark is player to build around.
22. ST. BERNARD | Nick Bowden, Reese Dixon-Waters, Tyler Rolison are impact players.
23. ST. ANTHONY | Perfomed well in summer and fall ball.
24. TAFT | Guards Ramel Lloyd, Khalil Haywood, Demetrius Calip offer offensive firepower.
25. ROLLING HILLS PREP | Beware of sophomore point guard Benny Gealer.