Beyond Harvey Weinstein: 33 other high-profile men accused of sexual misdeeds or related behavior
By Los Angeles Times staff
Oct 26, 2017 | 2:20 PM
L.A. Reid was fired as head of Epic Records after being accused of sexual harassment. (Aug. 30, 2017)
After the fall of Oscar-winning producer Harvey Weinstein, the reverberations continue. Director James Toback, animator Chris Savino and talent agent Tyler Grasham are among the latest men to be accused of sexual harassment.
But Hollywood is not the only industry roiled by such allegations. Men in positions of power within academia, technology, politics and beyond have also been recently accused of sexual misconduct or related behavior. Many have lost their jobs. Here is a look at some of these men.
After the Los Angeles Times published an article saying 38 women accused director James Toback of sexual harassment, more than 200 other women contacted The Times with similar allegations about him. The women’s accounts portray James Toback as a man who, for decades, sexually harassed women he hired, women looking for work and women he just saw on the street.
According to these women, Toback would approach them, offer up his credentials and say he could make them a star. Then, in a hotel room, a movie trailer or public park, meetings framed as interviews or auditions quickly turned sexual, they said. Toback has denied the allegations.
In addition to the leaked 2005 "Access Hollywood" tape that included audio of Donald Trump bragging about making unwanted sexual advances on women, including grabbing them by their genitals, multiple women have accused Trump of varying levels of sexual misconduct. He has denied all allegations and has since been elected president of the United States.
In the wake of the Weinstein scandal, Amazon studio chief Roy Price was suspended after "The Man in the High Castle" executive producer Isa Hackett told the Hollywood Reporter that she had reported Price for repeatedly propositioning her and making lewd comments while promoting the show at Comic-Con in 2014. He has since resigned from Amazon Studios.
After the accusations against Harvey Weinstein, brother Bob Weinstein is now also facing allegations. “The Mist” showrunner Amanda Segel has stepped forward, accusing him of sexual harassment during the production of the show. He has denied any inappropriate conduct.
Political journalist and author Mark Halperin was pulled Oct. 26 from his contributor’s role at MSNBC and put on indefinite leave after a report that he sexually harassed five women during his tenure at ABC News.
Five women who worked with Halperin when he was political director of ABC News in the early 2000s told CNN that he propositioned them or touched them inappropriately while on the job. Halperin acknowledged that he mistreated female employees at ABC News and issued an apology.
Celebrity and fashion photographer Terry Richardson — who has a reputation for sexual content in much of his work — has faced allegations over the years: A number of models have gone on the record with variousmediaoutlets to accuse him of exploitation and sexual misconduct. In an Oct. 24 statement, his spokeswoman told the Telegraph: “Many of his professional interactions with subjects were sexual and explicit in nature but all of the subjects of his work participated consensually."
Multiple celebrities, brands and publications have backed away from affiliations with him in public backlash. On Oct. 23, the Telegraph reported that, according to a leaked memo, Richardson is now banned from working with any magazines under the Condé Nast International umbrella, including international editions of Vogue, GQ and Vanity Fair.
Problems within the animation industry were brought to light after the Weinstein allegations when “The Loud House” creator Chris Savino was accused of misconduct by multiple women. On Oct. 19, Nickelodeon fired Savino after multiple sexual harassment allegations were made against him.
Earlier that day, 217 women and gender-nonconforming people in the animation industry sent an open letter to more than a dozen studios demanding an end to sexism and sexual harassment in their field.
Los Angeles-based talent agency APA fired agent Tyler Grasham on Oct. 20 after allegations that he sexually assaulted and harassed multiple young men in the entertainment industry. The allegations had led one of APA’s top clients to leave the firm.
Grasham first came under scrutiny earlier that week: Filmmaker Blaise Godbe Lipman alleged that a decade ago, when he was a teenage actor, the agent “fed” him alcohol and then sexually assaulted him. At least two other men — an editor and actor — have since come forward with stories of more recent unwanted sexual advances and harassment by Grasham.
Southern Louisiana chef and TV personality John Besh stepped down from his post with the Besh Restaurant Group on Oct. 23 after a report detailed numerous allegations of sexual harassment at his restaurants. More than two dozen women said they were sexually harassed while working at the company or its eateries, with at least one woman accusing Besh himself of misconduct. The allegations included unwanted touching by male co-workers and bosses, suggestive comments made about women’s appearances and male managers’ attempts to leverage power for sex.
Besh said in a statement that he had “deeply hurt those I love by thoughtlessly engaging in a consensual relationship with one member of my team.”
Hours after a former employee filed a lawsuit accusing him of sexually harassing her and eight other women, Knight Landesman resigned Oct. 25 as a publisher of Artforum magazine. As described in the New York Times, the suit claims that Landesman — who is well known in the international art scene — groped women, sent them explicit messages and sometimes retaliated against those who rebuffed him. Artforum’s other publishers said in a statement that he’d “engaged in unacceptable behavior and caused a hostile work environment.”
“I fully recognize that I have tested certain boundaries, which I am working hard to correct,” Landesman said in an email to Artnet News, adding that he had “never willfully or intentionally harmed anyone.”
The same week the Weinstein scandal broke, USC medical school dean Rohit Varma was ousted from his position after being accused years earlier of making unwanted sexual advances toward a young researcher and retaliating against her for reporting him. USC reprimanded Varma in 2003, and the university paid the researcher more than $100,000 to settle the incident. Soon after, it promoted Varma to full professor. As The Times was preparing to publish an investigation of the incident, he was fired; USC Provost Michael Quick said the decision was based on “previously undisclosed information.”
Chris Sacca, of Lowercase Capital, was accused of inappropriately touching the face of a female entrepreneur and later propositioning her. Sacca disputed the account but in June wrote in a blog post that he "personally contributed to the problem" and was "grateful" to "brave women sharing their stories." Months earlier he said he had retired from venture capital to focus on other interests.
Justin Caldbeck, co-founder of Binary Capital, was accused of using his position as a start-up investor to subject multiple women in the technology industry to sexual harassment. Caldbeck initially contested the report, but after the publication of allegations by multiple women, he resigned from Binary in June. He also lost his role as a board observer at the venture capital firm Lightspeed Venture Partners, a previous employer. Binary has said it will wind down operations.
Mike Cagney, the co-founder and chief executive of financial services start-up SoFi, stepped down from his post in September amid allegations that he fostered a company culture that enabled sexual harassment. Immediately after Cagney’s exit, the New York Times published a story in which current and former SoFi employees accused him of flirting with employees and using questionable tactics to grow the company. The newspaper said that Cagney said through a spokesman that he “vehemently denies” any improprieties at after-hours events with colleagues.
Dave McClure, co-founder and chief executive of 500 Startups, was accused of sending an email to a job candidate stating he was "getting confused figuring out whether to hire you or hit on you." Upon informing 500 Startups of McClure's statement, the accuser said the company ceased communicating with her. McClure apologized for behaving like a "creep" and stepped down as CEO.
Cinefamily’s co-founder and executive creative director, Hadrian Belove, pictured, and Shadie Elnashai, vice president of its board of directors, were accused of separate incidents of sexual misconduct toward women. Both resigned from their positions in August amid allegations of Cinefamily's "toxic environment." Belove denied the allegations; Elnashai did not respond at the time to a request for comment.
Uber co-founder and former CEO Travis Kalanick — who was not personally implicated in sexual harassment allegations but was blamed by former employees for creating a culture that allowed it to happen — was pressured to resign in June.
In February, just five weeks after joining Uber as senior vice president of engineering, Amit Singhal was out of the San Francisco ride-hailing company after a report that he failed to disclose he had left his previous job at Google because of a sexual harassment allegation. Singhal denied the allegation and said he left Google for his own reasons.
Steven Seagal has been accused of inappropriate conduct by actress and "Inside Edition" correspondent Lisa Guerrero, who recounted incidents around her audition and the filming of the movie "Fire Down Below" to Newsweek.
In May, former Congressman Anthony Weiner pleaded guilty to charges of sending obscene material to a minor. (It was the investigation into this case that led then-FBI Director James Comey to announce 11 days before the 2016 presidential election that he was reopening a probe into Hillary Clinton’s private emails.) In September, Weiner was sentenced to 21 months in prison.
Boxer Mike Tyson was found guilty of raping an 18-year-old contestant in the Miss Black America pageant in 1992; he served three years of a six-year sentence.
Oct. 18, 12:35 p.m.: An earlier version of this story said that USC medical school dean Rohit Varma had been ousted after the university discovered he had been accused of sexual harassment years earlier. The university knew of the accusation when Varma was promoted to dean; Varma was fired after “previously undisclosed information” was revealed.
Please consider subscribing today to support stories like this one. Already a subscriber? Your support makes our work possible. Thank you. Get full access to our signature journalism for just 99 cents for the first four weeks.