Our whole vegan Thanksgiving menu comes together easily with a little planning and make-ahead. Anything that can be prepped ahead can be refrigerated in airtight containers, then reheated before serving.
Slow-Roasted Winter Vegetables
Double Mushroom Gravy
Country Bread Stuffing with Lots of Celery
Creamy Leek and Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes
Smothered Green Beans with Creamed Mushrooms and Fried Onions
Pan-Seared Brussels Sprouts with Chile-Maple Glaze
Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Torched Meringue
Cast Iron Cornbread
Citrus Rosé Cranberry Jelly
Oven-Fried Apple Pie with Spiced Shortening Crust
Bourbon Pecan Pie with No-Roll Crust
The Shopping List
- 1 whole butternut squash (3 pounds)
- 2 whole celery root (1 pound each)
- 2 whole cauliflower or romanesco broccoli (1 ½ pounds each)
- 1 bunch celery
- 3 medium leeks
- 2 pounds green beans
- 1 ½ pounds Brussels sprouts
- 1 ½ pounds whole cremini mushrooms
- 8 ounces sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bunch fresh sage (optional)
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary (optional)
- 1 red Fresno chile
- 1 large brown onion
- 1 small white onion
- 6 large shallots (10 ounces)
- 10 large garlic cloves
- 5 large Russet potatoes (4 ½ pounds)
- 3 large sweet potatoes (4 pounds)
- 1 bag cranberries (12 ounces)
- 1 organic orange
- 1 lemon
- 4 Golden Delicious apples and 4 Granny Smith apples (3½ pounds)
- 1 large bottle everyday extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large bottle grape seed or other neutral-tasting vegetable oil
- 1 container nutritional yeast
- ½ ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 bottle apple cider vinegar
- 1 bottle pure maple syrup
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 container fried onions, such as French’s
- 1 small bottle bourbon
- 1 small bottle rosé wine
Spices and seasonings
- Kosher salt, preferably Diamond brand
- black pepper in a grinder
- dried sage
- dried rosemary
- dried savory or thyme
- dried oregano or marjoram
- black peppercorns
- whole nutmeg
- ground cinnamon
- ground chipotle chile
- cream of tartar
- 1 bag all-purpose flour
- 1 bag organic sugar
- 1 container cornstarch
- 1 bag fine stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 container baking powder
- 1 box baking soda
- 1 bag finely ground flax seed meal
- 1 bottle dark corn syrup
- 2 ½ cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup trans-fat-free vegetable shortening
- 1 quart unsweetened plain oat milk
- 1 small bottle fresh apple cider (no sugar added)
- 1 loaf crusty, hearty French or Italian bread (1 pound)
Follow this plan for a stress-free holiday:
Up to 5 days before:
- Make poultry seasoning.
- Make mushroom gravy.
- Make sweet potato base.
- Make cranberry jelly.
Up to 3 days before:
- Make mashed potatoes.
- Make pecan pie.
Up to 2 days before:
- Make bread stuffing mix.
- Cook green beans.
- Prepare green bean mushroom sauce.
The night before:
- Make apple pie.
4 hours before:
- Bake cornbread.
3 hours before:
- Prep Brussels sprouts ingredients.
2 hours before:
- Prep and roast winter vegetables.
1 hour before:
- Bring mushroom gravy to a simmer and keep warm over low heat.
45 minutes before:
- Cook Brussels sprouts and keep warm over low heat.
30 minutes before:
- Bake bread stuffing.
25 minutes before:
- Reheat sweet potatoes and spread in a serving dish.
20 minutes before:
- Reheat mashed potatoes on the stove top and keep warm over low heat.
- Reheat green bean sauce and fold in the green beans to heat through.
15 minutes before:
- Whip aquafaba for the sweet potato casserole, spoon on top, and torch.
10 minutes before:
- Spread green bean mixture in a serving dish and top with fried onions.
- Unmold cranberry jelly.
5 minutes before:
- Arrange all the dishes on the table.