The grim search for more victims of the fire that swept through Paradise, Calif., will continue today.
The fire has already claimed 29 lives. But the number could continue to grow. On Sunday, authorities said, there were 228 people whose whereabouts were unknown.
The search has been hampered by the active fire still burning in the area. Through much of the weekend, the ground remained too hot for cadaver dogs to tread, said Butte County Sheriff-Coroner Kory Honea
Residents in portions of the Woolsey fire evacuation area have been advised to boil their tap water before drinking it or using it to cook.
The boil-water notice was issued Sunday night for Los Angeles County Waterworks District No. 29’s Point Dume and Encinal Canyon service areas and Las Virgenes Municipal Water District customers south of Westlake Village, east of the Ventura County line, north of Malibu and west of Corral Canyon.
Officials said customers within the affected areas should either use bottled water or boil tap water for one minute prior to its use for drinking, brushing teeth and cooking.
Both of the state’s major utility companies have submitted incident reports detailing equipment problems moments before two deadly fires started Thursday.
Southern California Edison and Pacific Gas & Electric Company told the California Public Utilities Commission they experienced power outages in areas near the origins of the Woolsey and Camp fires minutes before the blazes began.
The utilities commission said it is including both reports in its investigation “to assess the compliance of electric facilities with applicable rules and regulations in fire-impacted areas,” spokeswoman Terrie Prosper said in a statement.
Edison said in its report that a circuit in the utility’s Chatsworth substation “relayed’ at 2:22 p.m. on East Street and Alfa Road, the same area where the Woolsey fire broke out. It was reported “out of an abundance of caution,” the report said.
Steve Conroy, an Edison spokesman, said the utility is required to submit a report to the CPUC “any time there’s any kind of incident that may or may not have anything to do with the event.”
All lanes of the 101 Freeway were reopened late Sunday between Valley Circle and Reyes Adobe Road, officials said.
However, offramps from Valley Circle to Liberty Canyon Road will remain closed until further notice.
All lanes of southbound US-101 are now OPEN from Reyes Adobe Rd. to Valley Circle. All off-ramps from Liberty Canyon Rd. to Valley Circle will remain closed until further notice. #WoolseyFirepic.twitter.com/27KLQXV5sn
At 29 dead and counting, the Camp fire in Butte County matched the deadliest fire on state record — a 47-acre scorcher that killed 29 people in Griffith Park in Los Angeles in 1933, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
Officials expect the death toll to rise in Butte, noting that 200 people are still reported missing.
Here’s some background on the earlier fire from the pages of The Times:
The death toll from the Camp fire in Butte County rose to 29, with six new bodies recovered Sunday, officials said.
With the ruins of the town of Paradise still smoldering, search teams have barely had a chance to begin sifting through the blaze’s footprint in the Sierra foothills, where in a matter of hours on Nov. 8 wind-driven flames sprinted downhill and burned more than 6,700 homes and businesses.
The first bodies found after the fire passed were in a car on the road. Some survivors said they had only minutes to escape.
Greg and Alma Cwik didn’t evacuate their Bell Canyon home on Dapplegray Road when the order came out this week.
Instead, the couple used the tools they could find to fight the flames that threatened their home Friday and Saturday. With the power knocked out Thursday night, they managed with LED lights. They used hoses and sprinklers, and when the water was shut off they grabbed buckets filled with pool water to fight the flames.
The couple, who have lived in their home for seven years, pulled the cushions off their outdoor furniture and brought them into the kitchen so they wouldn’t catch fire.