President Trump was booed Friday when he called the news media “vicious,” “mean” and “fake” during a brief question-and-answer session following his pro-America speech to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
The president, who as a New York businessman was long a mainstay of the city’s tabloids, said that over his career he’s gotten a “disproportionate” amount of press. Yet it wasn’t until he got into politics, he said, that he saw “how nasty, how mean, how vicious and how fake the press can be.”
The comment sparked a smattering of boos and hisses from the crowd, which included world leaders, heads of global companies, intellectuals and foreign media. While such anti-media remarks are familiar to Americans, Trump’s attack was extraordinary for being made before an international audience, given that U.S. presidents historically have been global clarions for a free press.
President Trump, meeting with the chairman of the African Union on Friday, ignored questions from reporters about the president’s reference to nations on the continent as “shithole countries” in a closed-door meeting this month.
Trump’s meeting with Paul Kagame, president of Rwanda and chairman of the African Union, was his first meeting with an African leader since the comments, made in a bipartisan meeting at the Oval Office, were reported Jan. 11.
The African Union had called on Trump to apologize for the remarks. It is unknown whether they were discussed at all during the private portion of Friday’s meeting with Kagame, which took place at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
President Trump met separately with the leaders of two of America’s closest allies on Thursday, and their public appearances confirmed that the closer of the two is Israel, even as Trump insisted that reported tensions with Britain are a “false rumor.”
President Trump, not one for saying he’s sorry, offered a semi-regret for retweeting a far-right anti-Muslim video, telling British television host Piers Morgan that he “would certainly apologize if you’d like me to do that.”
“Can I get an apology out of you just for the retweets of Britain First?” Morgan asked Trump in a video excerpt released early Friday.
“Here's what's fair,” Trump responded in the back-and forth, after trying to minimize the retweets. “If you're telling me these are horrible people, horrible racist people, I would certainly apologize, if you'd like me to do that, I know nothing about them.”
The proposal commits to legalizing a larger group than Republican conservatives have been willing to consider.
The White House will propose granting legal status to 1.8 million young immigrants who came to the U.S. illegally as children, in return for $25 billion for border security, including President Trump’s proposed wall on the southern border.
The proposal, an outline of which was delivered to members of Congress by White House officials Thursday, marks a major step for the administration — committing to legalizing a much larger group than Republican conservatives have previously been willing to consider.
The proposal would set up a 10- to 12-year path to citizenship for the so-called Dreamers.
As President Trump insists he’s willing to be interviewed for the Russia investigation, his legal team is arguing that the White House has provided “unprecedented” cooperation.
John Dowd, one of the president’s personal lawyers, released a memo on Thursday saying the administration has provided over 20,000 pages of documents. That includes more than 5,000 pages about former national security advisor Michael T. Flynn, who pleaded guilty in December to lying to the FBI, and nearly 8,000 about James B. Comey, the FBI director whose firing by Trump sparked the special counsel investigation.
Another 1.4 million pages were provided by Trump’s campaign, the memo said.
The Justice Department now says it has recovered some of the missing text messages between two FBI officials who have become a focus for Republican charges of bias in the FBI.
Last week, the department reported that, because of a technical snafu, the FBI had lost all messages sent from bureau mobile phones from December 2016 to May 2017. That included a string of messages between Peter Strzok, an FBI agent who had worked on the Hillary Clinton email investigation, and an FBI lawyer, Lisa Page.
Text messages released in December show the pair exchanged strings of derogratory comments about President Trump and other politicians during the campaign. Strzok, who also was assigned to the probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election, was reassigned after the texts surfaced earlier last year.
Prospects for a White House bid by the multimedia superstar appeared to dim with the release Thursday of an interview throwing cold water on the notion.
“I’ve always felt very secure and confident with myself in knowing what I could do and what I could not,” Winfrey told InStyle magazine when asked about the possibility of a 2020 run for president.
“And so it’s not something that interests me. I don’t have the DNA for it.”
The interview took place three weeks before Winfrey’s rousing speech on the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements at the Jan. 7 Golden Globe Awards, which set off speculation that she wanted to run for president.
Her longtime partner Stedman Graham told The Times that night that she “would absolutely do it,” despite her previous statements that she did not want to run.
If she were to change her mind and seek the Democratic nomination, Winfrey would probably face a crowded field of rivals vying for the chance to challenge President Trump’s reelection. Winfrey’s wealth and fame would instantly make her a top contender.
“I met with someone the other day who said that they would help me with a campaign,” Winfrey told InStyle. “That’s not for me.”