(Mandel Ngan / AFP)

President Trump reassured the National Rifle Assn. in a Thursday evening meeting of his support for 2nd Amendment gun rights but stuck by his proposal to set a minimum federal age of 21 to buy long guns, his press secretary said on Friday. 

Sarah Huckabee Sanders also indicated that Trump does not support universal background checks for gun buyers, which would expand to include sales at gun shows and over the internet that are currently exempt. The president wants to improve the current system but is “not necessarily” in favor of background checks for all gun purchases, she said.

Trump’s Oval Office meeting with NRA lobbyist Chris Cox, which was not listed on his public schedule, came a day after he’d rattled his allies among gun rights groups by telling lawmakers to send him a bill with a number of limits on gun ownership, including the age limit to buy assault weapons like the one used last month in the mass shooting at a Parkland, Fla., high school and several others.

Congressional negotiators laboring to write a trillion-dollar plan to fund the federal government are caught up in last-minute partisan disputes over abortion rights and healthcare costs, among other matters.

House and Senate leaders must agree on a package before Friday's deadline to avert another government shutdown, which would be the third of the year.


When Mike Coffman was growing up in Aurora, it was a small white military town on the outskirts of Denver. In the half a century since then, wave after wave of immigrants and refugees have transformed it into a vibrant, racially mixed suburb.

Coffman, a pro-gun and antiabortion Republican congressman, managed to defy the odds and win election even as his district backed Democrats Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton for president.

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in London earlier this month.
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in London earlier this month. (AFP / Getty Images)

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman arrived Monday in Washington, D.C., the first stop on a two-week trip that will include a visit to Los Angeles to meet with entertainment and defense executives, and Silicon Valley to meet with tech leaders. 

The powerful prince, considered the heir apparent to the Saudi throne, is expected to meet with officials from Lockheed Martin Corp., Boeing Co. and the Walt Disney Co. studios, among other companies. 

After meeting President Trump at the White House on Tuesday, the prince will pursue investment and technological expertise during his trip, which also includes visits to Seattle, Houston, New York and Boston. 

(AFP/Getty Images)

The Trump administration imposed fresh economic sanctions on the leftist government of Venezuela on Monday in a move aimed in part at stopping its use of a digital currency. However, it did not impose a long-threatened ban on the country’s oil exports.

U.S. officials say Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s cash-strapped government has introduced a digital currency called the petro to circumvent sanctions and to conceal how much it has bankrupted the once-thriving economy.

“President Maduro decimated the Venezuelan economy and spurred a humanitarian crisis,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a statement. “Instead of correcting course to avoid further catastrophe, the Maduro regime is attempting to circumvent sanctions through the petro digital currency.”

  • White House
(Chip Somodevilla)

Joseph DiGenova, a former U.S. attorney and occasional commentator on Fox News, will join President Trump’s legal team, his attorneys announced Monday, signaling a more confrontational approach to the investigation headed by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III.

DiGenova will start this week, according to a statement released by Jay Sekulow, one of the lawyers representing Trump in the Mueller investigation. 

“I have worked with Joe for many years and have full confidence that he will be a great asset in our representation of the president.,” Sekulow said.

When Mayor Libby Schaaf delivered her most recent State of the City address, she moved the event from Oakland's City Hall to a location rife with symbolism, the Islamic Cultural Center of Northern California.

It was a way of sending a message, about openness and inclusion, that was characteristic of a mayor known more for the quiet details of policy planning than the clenched-fist politics of this urban liberal hotbed.

  • White House
Andrew McCabe listens during a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing in Washington on June 7, 2017.
Andrew McCabe listens during a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing in Washington on June 7, 2017. (Alex Brandon / Associated Press)

President Trump on Sunday renewed his attack on fired FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe, who is likely to be a significant witness in the investigation being conducted by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III.

Following reports that McCabe made contemporaneous notes about his encounters with the president, Trump said on Twitter that he doubts such memos exist, or that if they do, that they are accurate.

Such memos, the existence of which were first reported by the Associated Press, are often made by law enforcement officials, who record their recollections immediately after the fact. Similar practices were followed by fired FBI director James Comey.

  • Russia
Andrew McCabe
Andrew McCabe (Cheriss May/NurPhoto/Sipa USA/TNS)

Andrew McCabe, the onetime FBI deputy director long scorned by President Trump and just fired by the attorney general, kept personal memos regarding Trump that are similar to the notes compiled by dismissed FBI chief James Comey detailing interactions with him, the Associated Press has learned.

It was not immediately clear whether any of McCabe's memos have been turned over to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, whose criminal investigation is examining Trump campaign ties to Russia and possible obstruction of justice, or have been requested by Mueller.

McCabe's memos include details of interactions with the president, among other topics, according to a person with direct knowledge of the situation who wasn't authorized to discuss the memos publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

  • Russia
John Dowd, pictured in 2007, is one of the lawyers representing President Trump.
John Dowd, pictured in 2007, is one of the lawyers representing President Trump. (Susan Walsh / Associated Press)

It’s time to end the investigation into whether President Trump’s team colluded with Russians to interfere in the 2016 election, one of the president’s personal lawyers said Saturday. 

The statement from John Dowd came the morning after Atty. Gen. Jeff Sessions fired Andy McCabe, a former top FBI official who is accused of making misleading statements during an internal review. McCabe had been a frequent target of Trump’s criticisms and claimed his firing was another attempt to undermine the Russia investigation. 

“I pray that Acting Attorney General Rosenstein will follow the brilliant and courageous example of the FBI Office of Professional Responsibility and Attorney General Jeff Sessions and bring an end to alleged Russia Collusion investigation manufactured by McCabe’s boss James Comey based upon a fraudulent and corrupt Dossier,” Dowd said. He first provided his statement to the Daily Beast.  

President Trump is seeking more than $20 million in damages from the porn actress who is trying to void the deal that requires her to keep quiet about her alleged affair with him, according to court papers filed Friday by his attorneys.

Stormy Daniels has breached her confidentiality agreement at least 20 times, the Trump legal team alleged in filings in federal court in Los Angeles. The pact entitles Trump to at least $1 million in damages each time Daniels breaks her silence about the president.