In the year since Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik killed 14 people in a terrorist attack in San Bernardino, authorities have conducted more than 600 interviews, gathered more than 500 pieces of evidence and served dozens of search warrants.
After a heavily armed San Bernardino County employee and his wife attacked a county holiday event last Dec. 2, killing 14 people and wounding 22, county leaders sounded a clear message of support for their workers.
The U.S. government made a dramatic about-face Monday, announcing it may not need Apple’s help unlocking an iPhone belonging to an assailant in last year’s San Bernardino terror attack, bringing an abrupt halt — and possibly an end — to its high-stakes legal showdown with the technology giant.
Setting up a pitched battle between Silicon Valley and the counter-terrorism community, Apple’s chief executive said Wednesday that his company would fight a court order demanding the tech giant’s help in the San Bernardino attack investigation, turning what had been a philosophical dispute into a legal skirmish that could have major ramifications for the tech industry.
Cybersecurity experts warned Wednesday that the battle over a court order requiring Apple to help the FBI access encrypted data on a cellphone belonging to the couple who killed 14 people in San Bernardino will have far-reaching consequences for the tech industry.
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook has issued a detailed statement explaining his company’s reasons for declining to help federal investigators unlock encrypted data hidden in a phone used by one of the San Bernardino terror suspects.
An Islamic State propaganda magazine praised the couple responsible for the San Bernardino terrorist attack as martyrs for killing 14 people, and suggested that the deadliest terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 9/11 was inspired -- but not directed -- by the organization.
The FBI’s top investigator in the San Bernardino terrorist attack said Friday that the husband and wife who shot and killed 14 people on Dec. 2 intended to detonate an explosive device inside the room, though the exact timetable of the plot remains unclear.
The Inland Regional Center complex in San Bernardino, the site of a terror attack last month that left 14 dead, reopened on Monday, just hours before a memorial for the shooting victims was expected to begin.
Enrique Marquez Jr., the man who purchased two weapons used to kill 14 people inside a San Bernardino social services center earlier this month, was indicted Wednesday on additional charges related to the deadliest terrorist attack on U.S. soil since Sept. 11, 2001.
The true spirit of Islam will be the focus of an annual Islamic Convention in Chino on Saturday that’s expected to draw at least 1,500 people, including local officials and law enforcement representatives.
The FBI is constructing a detailed timeline of the still-hazy years between when Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik became self-radicalized on the Internet and when they launched the deadly attack in San Bernardino.
They had only met online — first on a matrimonial website, and then in what he called “several weeks of emailing” — when Syed Rizwan Farook first sat down with Tashfeen Malik during his pilgrimage to Mecca, Islam’s holiest city, in October 2013.
Enrique Marquez Jr., the man accused of purchasing weapons used by the couple who carried out this month’s deadly San Bernardino attack, will remain in custody as his criminal case proceeds, a U.S. magistrate judge ruled Monday.
Immigration officials failed to sufficiently scrutinize Tashfeen Malik’s petition to enter the U.S. to get married, allowing her in with an unverified assertion from her fiance and untranslated Arabic passport stamps as the only evidence that the couple had spent time together, congressional investigators said Friday.
Enrique Marquez Jr., 24, was charged Thursday with conspiring with Syed Rizwan Farook in 2011 and 2012 to commit crimes of terrorism, as well as unlawfully purchasing two assault rifles used in the San Bernardino massacre and defrauding immigration authorities by entering into a sham marriage.
Here is a timeline of the relationship between two key figures in the San Bernardino terrorist attack, as alleged in a federal criminal complaint: 2004: Enrique Marquez moves from El Monte to Riverside, next door to Syed Rizwan Farook. 2007: Under Farook’s influence, Marquez converts to Islam and is later introduced to radical ideology. 2011: Farook and Marquez begin plotting terrorist attacks on a community college and the 91 Freeway. 2012: Marquez begins to distance himself from Farook and the terrorism plot. 2014: Marquez marries a woman whose sister is married to Farook’s brother. 2015: After Farook carries out the massacre, Marquez admits that he bought two guns that were used in shooting.
Four years before he launched the San Bernardino massacre, Syed Rizwan Farook and his friend Enrique Marquez hatched an elaborate plot to attack Riverside City College and the 91 Freeway, according to charges filed Thursday by federal prosecutors.
President Obama said Thursday that the U.S. has no “specific and credible” information about a terrorist threat over the holidays but he also urged Americans to be vigilant against a strain of terrorism that is harder to predict, the kind of lone-wolf attack unleashed in San Bernardino two weeks ago.
As a college student in Pakistan, she was known as a “Saudi girl,” her face shrouded in a black veil in the conservative style typical of women in the Persian Gulf kingdom where she spent most of her childhood.
Syed Rizwan Farook and his wife Tashfeen Malik did not make open posts on social media regarding radical Islamic jihad or martyrdom before the Dec. 2 terror attack in San Bernardino, FBI Director James B.
Enrique Marquez, who allegedly purchased the assault rifles used in the San Bernardino mass shooting, could face a variety of charges, including lying on his application to buy the guns and conspiracy to commit an act of terrorism, legal experts said.
Officials in San Bernardino, which has been struggling to recover from bankruptcy over the last three years, are hopeful that added costs from its response to the deadliest terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 9/11 will not further erode the city’s delicate finances.
San Bernardino shooter Tashfeen Malik sent at least two private messages on Facebook to a small group of Pakistani friends in 2012 and 2014, pledging her support for Islamic jihad and saying she hoped to join the fight one day, two top federal law enforcement officials said Monday.
As FBI divers continue to paddle the murky waters of a lake in San Bernardino, the federal investigation into the massacre at a county health department gathering is reaching a critical juncture: With whom were the two shooters in contact?
Trying to stay focused during finals week hasn’t been easy for Salma Mahmoud, who was walking across a dimly lighted section of the UC Riverside campus on a recent weeknight when a man approached and spit out the word “ISIS.”
FBI investigators on Friday recovered several items from a San Bernardino lake as they looked for electronics and other items left by the shooters in the most deadly terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 9/11, according to law enforcement sources.
Damian Meins was “one of the good guys” — a smart, kindhearted public servant who liked working in environmental health enough that he returned to it in San Bernardino County even after retiring from decades of work in Riverside County, friends recalled at a memorial service in Riverside.
Tributes and memorial services for the victims of last week’s shooting rampage in San Bernardino continued Friday as investigators spent yet another day searching a park lake for possible evidence left by the attackers.
FBI investigators are expected to continue their search of a San Bernardino lake and surrounding areas Friday looking for electronics and other items left by the shooters in the most deadly terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 9/11.
An examination of digital equipment recovered from the home of the couple who killed 14 people in San Bernardino last week has led FBI investigators to believe the shooters were planning an even larger assault, according to federal government sources.
Syed Rizwan Farook, one of the shooters in last week’s massacre at a San Bernardino social services center, asked a friend to buy two rifles used in the attack so he could dodge a federal background check and also may have been planning an even larger assault, according to government sources familiar with the ever-widening investigation.
In the wake of a San Bernardino terror attack that left 14 dead, members of a Placentia-based group said they have added the victims’ names to a traveling memorial that honors those who have died in the war against terrorism.
A 24-year-old Wal-Mart security guard, known to friends as a shy cycling enthusiast who wanted to join the military, has emerged as a key figure in last week’s terror attack at a San Bernardino social services center.
Federal law enforcement officials believe Syed Rizwan Farook considered a terror plot as early as 2011 or 2012 but abandoned his plans after another scheme to kill Americans in Afghanistan was foiled by a law enforcement task force in nearby Riverside, according to a government official briefed on the matter.
San Bernardino killers Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik began scheming to carry out a terrorist attack long before they were engaged or he moved her to the United States on a fiancee visa in July 2014, a widening and increasingly complex FBI investigation has found.
Pakistani security officials on Wednesday questioned teachers and students at the Islamic seminary that Tashfeen Malik attended in 2013 in an effort to trace the San Bernardino shooter’s path to radicalism.
As police officers kicked open doors in the Inland Regional Center in the search for the armed assailants who had just massacred 14 county employees, San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan was outside scanning the terrain for a safe place to coordinate the sweeping emergency response.
The deadly rampages in Paris and San Bernardino have added new urgency to Obama administration efforts to prevent fighters who trained with Islamic State or other extremist groups in Iraq and Syria from launching terrorist attacks when they return home.
In the weeks before the San Bernardino massacre, the husband-and-wife assailants obtained a $28,500 loan — an advance that authorities believe may have helped them acquire last-minute firearms, ammunition and components to build explosives, two federal officials said Tuesday.
The White House weighed in Tuesday on Donald Trump’s call for a ban on Muslim immigration, saying it made him unfit to serve as president and challenging Republicans to condemn his rhetoric or risk being “dragged into the dustbin of history” with him.
On Friday, in a mosque not far from the site of the mass shootings in San Bernardino, Hussam Ayloush, executive director of the Los Angeles chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, spoke in sympathy for the victims of the violence.
Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik had been radicalized “for quite some time” and practiced shooting at a gun range days before they opened fire on a San Bernardino holiday party, authorities said Monday.
San Bernardino County government offices reopened for the first time Monday with heightened security and a pledge by officials to “embrace the ordinary again” after a mass shooting last week that killed 14 people.
The attack in San Bernardino has put technology firms under new pressure to do more to fight terrorist recruitment, propaganda and plotting online, alarming Silicon Valley companies that have previously succeeded in blocking government efforts that they say would undermine privacy.
The widow of a man killed in last week’s rampage in San Bernardino said Monday that she believed the two shooters targeted her husband, and possibly other victims, because of their divergent religious beliefs.
Once more, with his unparalleled ability to provoke, the unsinkable Donald Trump has thrust himself to the fore of the 2016 presidential campaign, stoking a fierce debate over immigration, tolerance and the best means to fight terrorism.
Her bespectacled face hidden behind a black veil, Farhat Hashmi’s voice is measured and confident as she mixes motherly advice about diet and child-rearing with solemn guidance about how to be a proper Muslim.
The massacre in San Bernardino, now being investigated as a terrorist attack, has reshaped the political debate in an election that strategists in both parties had thought would be fought primarily over domestic policy.
Federal authorities continued Sunday to scour the backgrounds of the assailants in the San Bernardino shootings to determine what sparked their radical turn and whether they received any outside financial support to carry out the deadliest terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 9/11.
President Obama addressed the nation from the Oval Office on Sunday night hoping to reassure anxious Americans that his administration has a strategy to defeat Islamic State overseas, and to protect Americans from the threat of homegrown terrorism.
President Obama is taking the rare step of addressing the nation from the Oval Office to discuss his administration’s counter-terrorism policies in the wake of the massacre in San Bernardino last week.
On a tidy cul-de-sac in San Bernardino, Robert Garcia and Trish Hughes took their seats in their living room Sunday evening and fixed their eyes and ears on the flat-screen television above their fireplace.
It was three years ago this month that Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the National Rifle Assn., enraged gun-control advocates with his defiant assertion that more firepower was the solution to America’s wave of mass shootings.
President Obama addressed the nation Sunday, calling the attack in San Bernardino “an act of terrorism,” calling on Congress to act on an authorization for use of military force against Islamic State and to prevent people on the no-fly list from obtaining guns.
Investigators trying to understand what motivated the San Bernardino shooters are digging into Tashfeen Malik’s background in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, and are trying to determine if the couple had financial support from elsewhere, a top U.S. lawmaker said Sunday.
Tashfeen Malik studied at Al Huda, a chain of religious institutes that teach a fundamentalist strain of Islam, while she was enrolled in a university in Pakistan’s Punjab region several years ago, according to two fellow students.