L.A. Now
California: This just in
'Suge' Knight arrested on suspicion of murder; held on $2-million bail

Notorious former rap music mogul Marion "Suge" Knight has been arrested on suspicion of murder after he allegedly ran over two men with his truck following an argument on a film set in Compton, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department confirmed. He is being held in lieu of $2-million bail. 

Knight, 49, arrived at the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department West Hollywood station with his attorney around 12:30 a.m. to be interviewed by homicide detectives as a person of interest in the case, according to authorities and his lawyer. 

The interview concluded around 3:30 a.m., Knight's attorney, James E. Blatt, told The Times. 

The confrontation began about 3 p.m. Thursday when Knight and two unidentified men began arguing on the set of "Straight Outta Compton," a biopic about the group N.W.A., said Capt. John Corina of the Sheriff's Department's detectives unit.

About 20 minutes after the alleged argument, the victims were at Tam's Burgers near Central and East Rosecrans avenues,...

Read more
Suge Knight suspected of killing one, injuring another with his truck

Notorious former rap music mogul Suge Knight is suspected of running two men over in his truck Thursday afternoon after an argument on a film set in Compton.

The confrontation began around 3 p.m. when Knight and two unidentified men began arguing on the set of "Straight Outta Compton," a biopic about the group N.W.A., said Lt. John Corina of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department detective's unit. 

At least one of the victims was a member of the film crew, Corina said. 

About 20 minutes after the alleged argument on set, the victims visited Tam's Burgers near Central and East Rosecrans avenues, authorities said. 

Knight, 49, is believed to have followed the men in his truck before running them over in the parking lot, Corina said. 

Witnesses said the truck hit the men, then backed over them before leaving the scene. 

"They obviously knew each other," Corina said. "They got into some kind of verbal altercation and it escalated. So far the people we talked to said it looked like an...

Read more
Second attacker in Bryan Stow beating pleads guilty to weapons charge

A second man who admitted to the brutal Dodger Stadium beating of San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow has pleaded guilty to a federal weapons charge, his attorney said Thursday.

Louie Sanchez, 32, pleaded guilty in federal court in Los Angeles to one count of being a felon in possession of firearms and ammunition, said his attorney, Angel Navarro.

Sanchez and Marvin Norwood, 34, pleaded guilty to the 2011 attack on Stow, who suffered serious brain damage and remains severely impaired.

Norwood pleaded guilty last week to an identical charge.

They were indicted by a federal grand jury in March, soon after pleading guilty in state court.

Both Sanchez and Norwood were convicted felons at the time of the assault, prosecutors said. Sanchez had previously been convicted of evading an officer, Norwood of domestic violence, according to court records.

Investigators in the Stow case were serving a search warrant on Norwood’s Rialto home when they discovered a cache of weapons hidden in a crawl...

Read more
L.A. leaders vow to end homelessness among veterans this year

Declaring they had turned a corner in the fight against homelessness, city leaders on Thursday vowed that by the end of the year there would be no more veterans living on the streets of Los Angeles.

Speaking in a former downtown flophouse, officials said new federal resources and an end to city-county feuding had transformed their efforts.

"Four years ago, federal authorities told us L.A. is dysfunctional, we’re not going to invest in you," said Elise Buik, president of United Way, whose  private-public homelessness collaboration with the Chamber of Commerce is called Home for Good.

But, she said, "it’s a new day."

According to Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, $13 million awarded to the city last week by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development -- along with housing vouchers -- would be used to create 1,300 homes with counseling, drug treatment and other services attached.

Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert A. McDonald told the gathering that a legal settlement Wednesday --...

Read more
Beck admits 'mistakes' over meeting that had ex-Mexican Mafia member

Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck admitted late Thursday that "mistakes were made in holding" a meeting this week in downtown L.A. between a convicted ex-member of the Mexican Mafia, a group of business leaders and local law enforcement officials.

"I have directed the department to more thoroughly review future events before committing LAPD resources," Beck said in a statement.

The admission came soon after a spokesman for Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti criticized the LAPD's involvement in the event, which featured a former shot caller for the Mexican Mafia prison gang who has been under heavy security since he started cooperating with authorities more than a decade ago. Rene "Boxer" Enriquez is serving a lifelong prison sentence for two murders.

The department has come under fire for arranging an event that used public resources to transport and protect Enriquez for a private meeting set up at the request of a group of business leaders.

"This was inappropriate and should have...

Read more
Two killed, three injured in street race in Wilmington

Two people were killed Thursday and two others were seriously injured when their car spun out of control during a street race in Wilmington and crashed into a passenger van, according to Los Angeles police.

A third person, the woman driving the van, suffered minor injuries.

Los Angeles police Lt. Darryl Martin said that two cars were racing on westbound Pacific Coast Highway when the driver of one of the cars, possibly a Honda Civic, lost control and headed into traffic going the opposite direction, crashing into the van.

The other car drove off.

The collision occurred in the 300 block of West Pacific Coast Highway, near Island Avenue. The fire department received a call about the crash at 3:16 p.m.

Martin said that because PCH is wide in that area, racing is not uncommon. "Unfortunately, these things happen," he said.

KNBC-TV Channel 4 reported that the two dead were students at Banning High School. Police could not confirm that information.

Follow me @gottliebjeff.

Read more
Loading