Advertisement
675 posts

California Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León on Tuesday blasted the Federal Communication Commission’s decision to repeal net neutrality rules, saying that without them there is nothing to stop major telecoms from blocking content or slowing the internet down for consumers.

Speaking in San Jose, De León called the protection of an open, fair and free internet yet another way California will take a stand against President Trump.

“If the Trump administration or Congress cannot or will not protect the consumers of the great state of California, then know this: the state of California will,” he said at a news conference. “We will not stand by and let corporate greed compromise the integrity of your internet.”

Advertisement
Salvadoran immigrant Cecilia Ramos lives in Los Angeles on protected status.
Salvadoran immigrant Cecilia Ramos lives in Los Angeles on protected status. (Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)

Two California lawmakers are asking that an additional $10 million go into a state legal defense fund for immigrants facing deportation, after the Trump administration on Monday called for an end to temporary protections for more than 250,000 Salvadorans in the U.S.

Assembly members Miguel Santiago and Wendy Carrillo, both Democrats from Los Angeles, say they plan to make the request through legislation this week, as Gov. Jerry Brown prepares to unveil this year’s state budget on Wednesday.

The funds would go to aid Salvadorans covered by “temporary protected status,” and who have until Sept. 9, 2019, to apply for alternative legal means of staying in the country or face removal.

Advertisement
(Rich Pedroncelli / Associated Press)

Gov. Jerry Brown’s landmark law that sends additional dollars to K-12 students from disadvantaged communities will meet its funding goals two years ahead of schedule under a budget proposal to be unveiled in Sacramento on Wednesday.

The governor’s budget, according to sources who spoke on the condition they not be identified, will commit to full financing of the Local Control Funding Formula at a cost that could be close to $2.6 billion in the fiscal year that begins in July.

A spokesman for the governor, H.D. Palmer, wouldn’t confirm the full funding of the program. In an email, Palmer said the spending plan makes “further progress toward this goal.”

  • 2018 election
  • California Democrats
State Sen. Josh Newman faces a June 5 recall election.
State Sen. Josh Newman faces a June 5 recall election. (Rich Pedroncelli / Associated Press)

Gov. Jerry Brown on Monday set June 5 as the date for a recall election against state Sen. Josh Newman (D-Fullerton), who Republicans say should be unseated over his vote for an increase in the state’s gas tax and vehicle fees last year.

Brown consolidated the special recall vote with the regular state primary election when voters also will be casting ballots for governor and other high-profile offices, meaning a higher turnout that could help his fellow Democrat.

Rep. Ed Royce
Rep. Ed Royce (Andrew Harnik / AP)

Democrats had high hopes for flipping the House seat held by Orange County Congressman Ed Royce even before he announced his retirement on Monday. Now at least one prominent election guru is giving them the edge.

Minutes after Royce announced he would not seek reelection, David Wasserman, an editor at the nonpartisan election prognosticator Cook Political Report, said the publication would be moving the district from the “lean Republican” category to “lean Democratic.”

Royce’s district backed Hillary Clinton for president by 9 percentage points in 2016.

Advertisement

Republican Rep. Ed Royce of Fullerton announced today he will not seek reelection after 13 terms. 

He is one of several Orange County lawmakers being targeted this year as the Democrats attempt to win back the U.S. House.

“In this final year of my Foreign Affairs Committee chairmanship, I want to focus fully on the urgent threats facing our nation, including: the brutal, corrupt and dangerous regimes in Pyongyang and Tehran, Vladimir Putin’s continued efforts to weaponize information to fracture western democracies, and growing terrorist threats in Africa and Central Asia. With this in mind, and with the support of my wife Marie, I have decided not to seek reelection in November.”

  • California in Congress
  • 2018 election
  • California Democrats
Joseph Sanberg chats with an audience member after speaking to the Sacramento Press Club on Monday
Joseph Sanberg chats with an audience member after speaking to the Sacramento Press Club on Monday (Phil Willon / Los Angeles Times)

Wealthy Westwood investor Joseph Sanberg on Monday announced he would form a new political action committee to support progressive congressional candidates he said will prioritize the needs of working-class and poor Californians over wealthy corporations.

Sanberg, speaking to the Sacramento Press Club, was coy about how much of his own money he will pour into the “Working Hero” political action committee or which candidates it will support, saying it would back those who support “creating a California where every single person can afford life’s basic needs.”

That would mean, he said, passing a universal healthcare law, or “Medicare for all,” as well as expanding the earned income tax credit and increasing the minimum wage above $15, the level it will reach in 2022.

  • California Legislature
California Vaquero horse
California Vaquero horse (Office of Assemblyman Randy Voepel (R-Santee)

California might soon have an official state horse under new legislation from a San Diego assemblyman.

The California Vaquero was introduced in the state at least as early as 1769 during the establishment of Spanish missions, and Assemblyman Randy Voepel (R-Santee) said that fewer than 100 of them remain worldwide.

“While I look forward to working on legislation to improve the future of our state, it's important to also strengthen the legacy of our past,” Voepel said in a statement.

Advertisement
  • California Democrats
Mark Leno, seen here in August 2016, filed paperwork on Monday to run for mayor of San Francisco
Mark Leno, seen here in August 2016, filed paperwork on Monday to run for mayor of San Francisco (David Butow/For The Times)

Mark Leno, once one of California’s most seasoned and powerful state lawmakers, officially launched his campaign Monday to become mayor of San Francisco.

The Democratic politician filed the paperwork for a race he’s been preparing for since leaving the state Senate due to term limits in 2016.

Leno, 66, served in both the Assembly and Senate and before that on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. In Sacramento, he was a key architect of most state budgets over the last decade. Last week, the San Francisco Chronicle reported that Leno was tops in a recent poll of potential candidates.