Welcome to Essential Education, our daily look at education in California and beyond. Here's the latest:
- The probe into audit interference, ordered by UC regents, concluded that UC President Janet Napolitano approved a plan that led to the interference.
- UC regents, meeting in San Francisco, chastised Napolitano for her role in the interference. Napolitano responded by saying she should have shown better judgment.
- On Wednesday, they heard about ways to make a UC education more affordable.
In and around Los Angeles:
- The L.A. Unified school board yesterday discussed a way to soothe conflicts between schools and parents.
- The Department of Public Health is investigating the death of an 18-year-old Santa Monica High School senior.
- Our editorial board endorsed these candidates for the Los Angeles Community College District.
- State Sen. Anthony Portantino wants California's schools to start later in the day.
- There's a sinkhole in a San Diego school parking lot.
- Tustin Unified is inviting President Trump for a visit, so he can learn about the good things happening in public schools.
- More California millennials are showing up in emergency rooms because of heroin use.
- Trump, DeVos and Spicer talked about school choice with parents and teachers, but never used the V-word.
- Yale University will rename Calhoun College, a residential college named after John C. Calhoun.
- The future of My Brother's Keeper.
- New Jersey is adopting a program to reduce infant mortality by giving out baby boxes.