Welcome to Essential Education, our daily look at education in California and beyond. Here's the latest
In and around Los Angeles:
- UC San Diego landed the Dalai Lama for its commencement speech, but some Chinese students are protesting.
- Some are questioning the California State University system's reliance on placement exams to determine who needs remediation.
- California legislators proposed putting a $2-billion bond to upgrade UC and Cal State campuses on the 2018 ballot.
- Under Ohio Gov. John Kasich's proposed budget, teachers would have to job shadow at local businesses to renew their licenses.
- Ferguson, Mo., residents are chiding officials for using a Humvee to educate students about drugs.
- On Wednesday, Betsy DeVos said the people who blocked her entrance to a public school were opposed to new ideas. On Thursday, she called them "passionate."