Welcome to Essential Education, our daily look at education in California and beyond. Here's the latest:
- The probe into audit interference, ordered by UC regents, concluded that UC President Janet Napolitano approved a plan that led to the interference.
- UC regents, meeting in San Francisco, chastised Napolitano for her role in the interference. Napolitano responded by saying she should have shown better judgment.
- On Wednesday, they heard about ways to make a UC education more affordable.
In and around Los Angeles:
- The secret life of a former USC medical school dean involved methamphetamine use and drug-fueled parties.
- L.A. Community College District trustees will meet behind closed doors to investigate one board member's allegations that another threatened her.
- Stanford University professor Maryam Mirzakhani, the only woman to win the mathematics equivalent of the Nobel Prize, died at 40.
- It's hard to know whether girls have equal access to sports in California's schools.