Welcome to Essential Education, our daily look at education in California and beyond. Here's the latest:
- The probe into audit interference, ordered by UC regents, concluded that UC President Janet Napolitano approved a plan that led to the interference.
- UC regents, meeting in San Francisco, chastised Napolitano for her role in the interference. Napolitano responded by saying she should have shown better judgment.
- On Wednesday, they heard about ways to make a UC education more affordable.
In and around Los Angeles:
- Cal State trustees met Tuesday to tackle a tight budget.
- Could Ref Rodriguez be the next president of the L.A. Unified Board of Education?
- California's colleges hail the return of year-round Pell grants.
- Sacramento Unified's new superintendent is a data-loving education reformer.