Welcome to Essential Education, our daily look at education in California and beyond. Here's the latest:
- The probe into audit interference, ordered by UC regents, concluded that UC President Janet Napolitano approved a plan that led to the interference.
- UC regents, meeting in San Francisco, chastised Napolitano for her role in the interference. Napolitano responded by saying she should have shown better judgment.
- On Wednesday, they heard about ways to make a UC education more affordable.
In and around Los Angeles:
- Marlborough, a prestigious all-girls school in Hancock Park, settled a case with a second former student who was sexually abused by her teacher.
- L.A. Unified will decide whether to join a union effort to call for a major increase in state education funding.
- Among top public universities, the University of California is the most generous when it comes to financial aid.
- Community colleges are figuring out how they will pay for a state-mandated fee waiver for all first-time full-time students.