Welcome to Essential Education, our daily look at education in California and beyond. Here's the latest:
- U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos is withdrawing the Obama administration's policy on investigating campus sexual assault. The new policy doesn't have a timeline for investigations, and allows for informal resolutions.
- The Times obtained data from Los Angeles Unified School District about the high schools that send the highest percentage of their graduates to college. Principals from those schools told us how they do it.
In and around Los Angeles:
- USC makes a deal with United Airlines for the naming rights of its coliseum.
- The founder of a now-defunct South L.A. charter school has been charged with embezzlement and money laundering.
- UC regents approve the system's first limits on out-of-state and international students.
- There's a lot of debate over what the process of declassifying English language learners should look like.