Welcome to Essential Education, our daily look at education in California and beyond. Here's the latest:
- The probe into audit interference, ordered by UC regents, concluded that UC President Janet Napolitano approved a plan that led to the interference.
- UC regents, meeting in San Francisco, chastised Napolitano for her role in the interference. Napolitano responded by saying she should have shown better judgment.
- On Wednesday, they heard about ways to make a UC education more affordable.
In and around Los Angeles:
- USC makes a deal with United Airlines for the naming rights of its coliseum.
- The founder of a now-defunct South L.A. charter school has been charged with embezzlement and money laundering.
- UC regents approve the system's first limits on out-of-state and international students.
- There's a lot of debate over what the process of declassifying English language learners should look like.