Welcome to Essential Education, our daily look at education in California and beyond. Here's the latest:
- A new study found that Oakland's charter schools have received less public funding than Oakland’s traditional public schools, but that traditional schools have had a more challenging student population.
- African American students at UC Riverside graduate at rates similar to those of whites and Latinos and just below Asian Americans.
In and around Los Angeles:
- USC makes a deal with United Airlines for the naming rights of its coliseum.
- The founder of a now-defunct South L.A. charter school has been charged with embezzlement and money laundering.
- UC regents approve the system's first limits on out-of-state and international students.
- There's a lot of debate over what the process of declassifying English language learners should look like.